Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Posole, Tres Leches Cake, and Vegan Chicken Wraps

I'm still working my way through the Born to Run 2 Run Free program, which I blogged about a few weeks ago as I did the Two-Week low-carb test. That part is over, thankfully! And now the program is just focusing on running form. I can eat all the carbs I want. And I can also make recipes from the book, many of which don't fit into the Two-Week Test rules. And most of the recipes are either vegan or easily veganizable. So far, I've made the vegetarian version of Arnulfo's Posole with Roasted Kale, which is a Tarahumara recipe.

The Born to Run 2 book includes a meat version with pork and a veg version with eggplant and mushrooms. Of course, I made the veg version, and I also added seitan for extra protein. The stew has lots hominy and tomatoes with a bright lime finish, and it's topped with roasted kale (I roasted mine in the air fryer) and vegan sour cream. It's the kind of recipe you're glad to have leftovers of! I even froze some for later.

A few weeks back, Lulu's Cafe and Bakery offered Tres Leches Cake, a super-sweet cake soaked in three kinds of milk. Of course, it was all vegan milk! Everything at Lulu's is vegan. I picked up a slice and savored every bite.

Here's some amazing Eggy Avocado Toast. I used my homemade sourdough, topped with avocado, sauerkraut, and scrambled Just Egg. I will definitely be doing this again.

For summer solstice, I made the Lemon Chicken Wraps from Llewelyn's Sabbats Almanac. The recipe wasn't vegan, but I made it vegan with Morningstar Farms chicken strips. The dressing was made with preserved lemon (I used Indian pickle cause it's what I had, and it's basically the same thing.) Really, really good! I also had a Tomato and Squash Salad from the book on the side.

And finally, here's the Banana Almond Butter Waffles from the No Meat Athlete Cookbook. I've made this recipe as pancakes plenty of times, but this was my first time (I think) making it as waffles! Sausage was the Whole Foods store brand vegan sausage.

No comments: