Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Now Open: LuLu's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been raving about LuLu's — Memphis' all-vegan bakery business — for a long time. But up until recently, their amazing breads, pastries, cookies, and other goodies were only available at the Cooper-Young Farmers Market (or at the occasional pop-up brunch). But now LuLu's has their very own space inside Puck Food Hall in downtown Memphis!

They've been working toward this for awhile, and wouldn't you know it? Now they're opening in the middle of a global pandemic! But since Puck Food Hall is well-suited for grab-and-go, they're making it work. Paul and I stopped by on Saturday morning for the first time and were pleased to see our friends Don, Stephanie, and Tiffany behind the counter wearing masks.


For now, they're only open for breakfast Thursday through Saturday, and we were a little late, so I missed the Brekky Sandwich (next time!). But I did score a Strawberry Hand Pie. These tiny pies are made with crispy crust and locally sourced fruit. Strawberries are in-season here!


They had Pita Chips, so I grabbed a bag to enjoy with my daily hummus snack. I'm going through hummus like mad these days. These are super crisp with a nice chunky salt and some kind of seasoning (maybe za'atar?).


And I got a Black-eyed Pea Sausage Biscuit. They make everything from scratch, and their sausages are insane. I could eat, like, five of these things!


I practiced restraint though and saved my biscuit for Sunday morning's breakfast. I added a folded Just Egg and some Miyoko's cheddar shreds for good measure. This was a breakfast that I never wanted to end. Can I just eat breakfast sandwiches every second of my life forever?


LuLu's is open in Puck Food Hall (409 South Main) Thursdays through Saturdays from 8 am to noon. They hope to expand to lunch service soon. Masks are required inside Puck Food Hall for now, so please cover your face! LuLu's also still taking pick-up orders for the Cooper-Young market. Follow them on Insta for details!

2 comments:

Hillary said...

The hand pie is something I will dream about!!
The breakfast sandwich looks pretty epic too!

rÉvolution Végane said...

My husband said the sandwich was the best he ever had!