Monday, November 18, 2019

Vegan Brunch at Memphis Rox!

This past Sunday, Juice Almighty, the juice bar inside Memphis Rox Climbing Gym, hosted vegan brunch! It was their first time offering vegan brunch, but they plan to start doing this once a month. Of course I had to go to the first one!


Memphis Rox was opened last year in South Memphis, across from the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, by film director Tom Shadyac. He's best known for directing Jim Carrey movies, like Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Bruce Almighty, hence the name of the juice bar. I love nothing more than a good play on words.


Shadyac lives part-time in Memphis, and he's all about giving back to the community. So this climbing gym was opened in a largely disinvested area and offers a sliding scale, pay-what-can model. It's very cool. I've yet to try climbing here, but I'd like to do that soon. For now, I'm excited to have a reason to visit the juice bar for brunch.

The menu looked awesome with burrito bowls, French toast, sausage biscuits, and more. But I opted for the Tofu Scramble with sides of Sourdough Toast and Garlic Greens. I'd just run 8 miles before meeting Megan for brunch, and this protein-rich, carb-heaby meal hit the spot.


Megan ordered what would have been my second choice — Vegan Chicken & Waffles! Crispy Gardein chicken was served with a fluffy waffle.


She also got a side of Tempeh Bacon, which I tried. And it was delish!


I've noticed they also have Beyond Meat options on their regular sandwich/salad menu, so I'll definitely be back to try those and maybe try my hand at climbing while I'm there! The brunch is supposed to happen every third Sunday from 9 am-12:30 pm (which, honestly, is more like breakfast/brunch but ...).

1 comment:

Susan said...

What a fun name, and a great concept! Honestly, I will never attempt rock climbing due to a number of concerns, but I would definitely go for brunch! I'm an early bruncher, so 9am sounds great for me.