Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Cookies and Doughnuts and Pizza!

I should preface this post with a note that I am still totally rocking 80/20 Plants, the food philosophy that encourages 80% whole foods and 20% indulgent foods each day. But some days are more indulgent than others (say, 60/40, haha). I make up for those days by making sure I have a few days a week that are closer to 90/10 (meaning I'm eating almost exclusively whole foods on those days).

For some, assigning percentages and numbers to what they're eating may seem overly stringent, but this way of eating has really helped me find the balance I needed. I'm eating more healthfully than ever, and for the first time, it's in a way that's sustainable for the long-term. The key is not denying yourself something that you truly want. Like doughnuts. When vegan doughnuts come into my life, I want nothing more than to eat that doughnut.


My co-worker Lily has been perfecting her Vegan Doughnut recipe, and those of us in the office are her taste testers. Happy to oblige! This one was perfect.

I enjoyed that doughnut on Friday after having already eaten a Chocolate Chip Cookie that I made for a co-worker's birthday. Some days are two-dessert days. These are from Isa & Terry's Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and they're perfect.


Here's another indulgent meal from last week. I'd been craving Miyoko's Creamery Mozzarella lately, and I had a leftover Simple Truth Organic pizza crust from a two-pack. So I made a quick Vegan Cheese & Veggie Pizza. The Simple Truth crust is so light and cracker-thin that I ate half a pizza in one meal (this was just my first slice!). I also had a salad with cashew ranch on the side.


Not every meal is pizza and doughnuts of course. My breakfasts are almost always whole food-based — usually smoothies, but sometimes when I've got a few more minutes to sit down, I have Steel Cut Oats with Almond Butter & Fruit.



Last Saturday, my parents came to Memphis because they wanted to eat at Genghis Grill. They love the build-your-own/hibachi concept, and I like this place cause I can get a fairly healthy meal. My stir-fry has brown rice, lots of veggies, and tofu, plus sweet & sour sauce (the only sauce there made without HFCS). I do always add a few crunchy chow mein noodles cause those are fun.


1 comment:

Susan said...

Yay for fun meals!
For me, any sort of counting/numbering system in my eating is no good for my brain, but I am glad that it is working for you. You certainly seem to be having a lot of fun with your 20, and your 80 always looks pretty great a well!