Thursday, June 14, 2018

Philly Beet Steak!

I ate many delicious vegan meals at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Fest last weekend (read all about them here!). But one meal stole my heart - the Philly Beet Steak from The Beet Box food stand. It was just what it sounds like! A Philly cheesesteak made with beets, topped with peppers and onions, a creamy cashew cheese, and slices of avocado. I couldn't wait to go home and re-create the meal with the beets from last week's CSA.

The recipe is super-simple, but it so satisfying. And it fits in with my current efforts to fit as many veggies into my diet as possible. My version is made with whole wheat bread for a healthier spin, but The Beet Box used a soft white roll. Do what you want!


Here's the recipe!

Philly Beet Steak
Yields 2 sandwiches

3 small (or 2 medium) beets, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 large Vidalia onion, sliced into half moons
1 green bell pepper, sliced
4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
Mrs. Dash
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper
Avocado
2 whole wheat hoagie rolls

For the cashew cheese:
1/2 cup cashews, soaked 8 hours
1/2 cup (or more) water
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast

Roast the beets in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until fork tender. 

While the beets are roasting, add the onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper to a large skillet with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Add as much Mrs. Dash, garlic powder, and salt and pepper as desired. Saute on medium-high, adding more water as necessary to prevent the veggies from sticking. Once they're soft, allow the water to dry up and continue to saute for a couple minutes, stirring often, to allow the veggies to brown.

To make the cashew cheese, combine the cashews, 1/2 cup water, garlic, sea salt, and nutritional yeast in a blender. Blend until smooth. You may need to add more water one tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency. You want a thick but pourable cheese, like a sauce.

To assemble, spoon half the beets into the roll and top with half the pepper/onion mix. Top with as much cashew cheese as desired and finish with avocado slices.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoah! I am so impressed you already came up with a version! I think it was just A Sign that you had beets from the CSA. I don’t love having my oven on during the summer but trader joe’s sells these great already cooked beets so i’m going to make this after my next shopping trip! Sounds like such a delicious combo with the avocado
Ttrockwood

Sarah said...

This looks so amazing and I'm also so impressed that you were able to recreate it! I'm not typically a huge fan of beets but this sounds like such a fun way to try them! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Hillary said...

I agree with everyone above! I'm so impressed you recreated the recipe so soon. That shows how delicious it was. I'm not a beet fan, but I might try it with mushrooms sometime!

Unknown said...

What a delicious beet steak recipe! Congrats for sharing!
I want to share an article I read about vegan eggs and few delicious brands you can try now:
https://cruelty-free-lifestyle.org/vegan-eggs/

Susan said...

Yum, this looks great! A speedy turnaround on recipe development, so it must have been amazing!

Barb said...

YUM!