Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Three-Bean Beer Chili!

As I mentioned a few posts ago, my partner Paul is trying to eat more vegan and vegetarian meals. He's not going all the way, but he wants to get fit and feel better after years of eating crap and not really taking care of himself. He's started running again, and he's actually eating dinners that I cook. Before, all he wanted was frozen burritos, frozen pizzas, ramen, and cans of ravioli.

The other day, he said "How come you never make chili?" I explained to him that chili was a fall/winter food, and it's still in the high 80s here (even though it's officially fall). He said he didn't care about that, and he wanted chili soon. So last night, I made some chili! I didn't follow a recipe, just came up with a new one, so I'm sharing it in this post.

I made a beer chili, using a full can of Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer for a super-fall flavor. Beer adds such complexity to chili. I also used a full bag of Beyond Meat Beefy Crumbles because protein is awesome. Plus mushrooms because I try to eat some every day. I topped my bowl with a little Daiya because why not?

Paul requested cornbread on the side so I made the Jalapeno Corn-Cornbread from Cookin' Crunk, which has corn kernels inside and chopped, pickled jalapenos on top!


Three-Bean Beer Chili
Yields 4 servings

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 package Beyond Meat Beefy Crumble
1 12-oz. can or bottle of Oktoberfest beer
1 24-oz. can crushed tomato
2 14-oz cans mixed beans (I used Simple Truth Organic Tri-Bean Blend), drained & rinsed
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. maple syrup
1 Tbsp. apple cider vineger

Heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the onion. Saute 3-5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and saute one more minute. Add the mushrooms, and saute 3-5 minutes. Add the crumbles and saute until thawed and lightly browned.

Add in the beer, crushed tomato, beans, tomato paste, chili powder, salt, and maple syrup. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes. 

Turn off heat and stir in the apple cider vinegar.

7 comments:

Cadry said...

This sounds SO GOOD. I love chili anytime, and beer is the perfect addition. I need to make this ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Sad that you aren't doing vegan mofo this year. Im really missing it this year.

Jennifer said...

That chili looks and sounds great! YUMMO!
I signed up for Vegan MoFo but haven't been able to post much yet

Blake Fraina said...

That chili looks awesome! Although I'm not sure how much the beer is going to help Paul with his new fitness goals. But really...who cares? Beer for the win.

Hillary said...

Yum, the chili and the cornbread look so cozy and delicious!!

Jennifer said...

Sounds yummy! I always liked chili in the summer, but I must be the minority. I've read so many people say it is a fall/winter food!

Unknown said...

I hope paul loved it! chili is good any time of year but i certainly want it more when it's cold. I have never made it with beer but obviously need to try that!
Ttrockwood