Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eat Your Peas

My mama never had to make me clean my plate. I always ate everything on my plate, licked it clean (for real, I did that ... even in public, much to the embarassment of my parents), and asked for seconds. I'm a girl who likes to eat, always have. And peas are one of my favorite veggies.

Nothing satisfies when the weather is less than perfect than a steamy bowl of split pea soup. That's probably why cookbook author Sarah Kramer included her recipe for Green Split Pea Soup in her 2011 Go Vegan Wall Calendar and La Dolce Vegan:

This hearty bowl contains not only peas, but turnips, potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions. The recipe only called for a half-cup of dried peas, but I used a full cup because that didn't seem like enough. The result was a hearty pea stew, since the extra peas soaked up most of the liquid. But I think that made it even better.

I can't have soup without bread, so I threw together a loaf of Kramer's Sassy Simple Soda Bread from La Dolce Vegan:

As you see, it's a little undercooked. But I baked the loaf 25 minutes longer than the 50 minute cooking time, and it still wasn't totally done. Still, it's not so bad. There's sesame seeds peppered throughout the loaf, and it has a great taste. Plus, I kinda like doughy bread. I toasted a slice in the oven and spread with a little Earth Balance Coconut Spread and Marmite.

I probably won't be blogging tomorrow night because I'll be in my hometown hanging with my BFF Sheridan before the big Tofurky Day. But have a happy, happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

foodfeud said...

You're a real trooper with actually making all Sarah's calendar recipes! I got frustrated about halfway through and stopped, but I do like the sound of this one especially with the turnips. And, yes, bread is the only way to go as a side with soup. Mmm.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jacinta said...

Love pea soup and grew up on soda bread :) Maybe if you just baked it as a round on a cookie sheet 50 min should do it. We never made loaves but always rounds, (flatter) 45-50 usually did it. What temp did you use?

Erin said...

The soup looks great, turnips sound like a nice addition. Happy Thanksgiving!

cadastru bucuresti said...

I like this recipe a lot, it is one of my favourites now after i`ve tried it this morning and it was very good, thanks for sharing and also thanks for your good explanations.