Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Punky Pasta

Remember Punky Brewster? Yea, I wanted to be her when I was, like, five years old. I think she and later, Blossom and Clarissa from Clarissa Explains It All, shaped who I am today. I've always gravitated toward all things quirky, funky, and just plain weird. As a young kid, I embraced the weirdo girls and grew into a proud weirdo girl myself.

Corny as it sounds, this pasta dish totally brings out that little weirdo girl. Well, I guess I'm a big weirdo girl now. Whatevs. I make this dish every fall, so this isn't my first post on it. It's Sarah Kramer's Punk-kin Pasta from La Dolce Vegan:

Pureed pumpkin, sauteed onions, and vegan sausage coat whole wheat rotini pasta topped with Daiya mozzarella. It's so simple, and yet so, well, funky. I'd never have thought to use straight canned pumpkin as a pasta sauce without Kramer's guidance. Nor would I have thought to top a pumpkin dish with vegan cheese. But it works! It's actually one of the very few dishes I repeat. I rarely ever make the same thing twice, and when I do, you know it's something that I find absolutely delectable.

On the side, I made the Dark Leafy Greens with Sesame Miso Dressing from The Vegan Table:

The greens are kale from the Memphis Farmers Market, but any green will do. They're steamed and tossed with sesame seeds and a warm dressing made from sesame oil, miso, and mirin. Yum!

What pop culture icons shaped who you are today?

11 comments:

Sheridan said...

I actually have to agree with you on Blossom and Clarissa for sure. I remember watching Punky as well, but not as much as the other two. And actually, I was always a bit more of a Six fan than Blosson. haha! The pasta sounds funky, but interesting and really good. It makes me think of the pumpkin sausage recipe, which I need to make again soon!

Theresa said...

OMG, I *totally* wanted to be Punky. I have a friend from school who actually got to choose her little brother's name when he was born, and she chose Brandon after Punky's dog. I wonder if Soleil Moon-Frye has any idea how formative she was to our generation...

JL goes Vegan said...

First, I have to make that punky pasta. Drool-worthy.

Second, I'm older you, so I'm trying to think back to who influenced me in the 70's. I suspect I wanted to be Marcia Brady but realized, deep down, I was middle-child-Jan. :)

Allysia said...

Lol at Punky Brewster, she was super cool! When I was 19 or so, I had a restaurant job and bright pink hair and my boss would always call me "Pinky" Brewster. Woo hoo for weirdo pride!

This is gonna sound super nerdy, but when I was a kid I played a lot of RPG video games where you have to save the world from evil and such. And I definitely think those countless hours of world-saving has influenced my perspective on reality. Other than that, definitely Buffy. And she was also saving the world all the time.

Maxx said...

That looks good! I love pumpkin :)

Anonymous said...

OMG I loved Punky Brewster, Blossom and Clarissa Explains it all. Have you seen that Blossom is now a character named Amy Farrah-Fowler on The Big Bang theory? Her character is PURE GOLD. She's absolutely hilarious. I also loved Roseanne when I was a kid, and two of the actors from that are also in The Big Bang Theory.
I've been making pasta sauce out of pumpkin for ages. I have no idea what made me try it, but with lots of garlic and a few tomatoes it's absolutely fabulous.

Jenna said...

You are totally a grown up Punky!! :) I absolutely LOVE the pumpkin baked ziti from VCon. I'll have to try this too, looks easier/faster! I'm actually having a punkin party this weekend to celebrate all things deliciously pumpkin!

Just Us said...

I have got to make that pasta...it sounds and looks like something that I would totally love!
I remember Punky Brewster. I don't think any pop culture icon shaped me though. I was a VERY shy kid and well, I'm still on the shy side. :o)

Jen said...

That is one of my favorite cook books and I have yet to try that pasta dish. You have convinced me. It will be made this week. Thank you!

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Definitely Clarissa! I always loved her funky outfits. Punky and Blossom were slightly before my time, but I remember them. :)

Also, I feel I was shaped by Bill Nye the Science Guy and Captain Planet. I wound up becoming a biologist who recycles and avoids rainforest products like the plague, lol.

foodfeud said...

I am totally with you on Blossom! Oh man I love her. Oh and Darlene Conner from Roseanne. I had a huge crush on her and she definitely gave me my snarky and dry sense of humor. (Plus the oversized vests...)
Plus, wasn't she a vegetarian? ;)
The pasta sounds awesome. I have a pumpkin lasagna recipe that I make a lot but this looks way better with the daiya and onion!