Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Of Coloring Books & Coconuts

Can you freakin' believe the holidays are almost here?! Geez. Where'd the year go? Is this what happens when you get old? Does time really move faster? By the time I'm 40, a year will be, like, a month. Damn.

Even though it arrived too soon, I do love this time of year. I mean, I detest the cold. But I love Thanksgiving and Christmas because I love food and presents. And, oh yea, family too. Since the holidays are on their way, I have two reviews in this post aimed at this special time of year.

First up is Nashville vegan children's book author Nathalie VanBalen's new "Happy Thanksliving!" coloring zine!

Her first book, Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit Juice, is a full-color work of art. In fact, you can order it here (I bet it'd make an awesome Xmas gift for some little kid in your life). But now Nathalie's come out with a seasonal coloring zine that shares the story of why vegans don't have turkeys on their tables. Here's a cute page from the zine:

And here's one that I colored tonight!

I haven't colored in ages, and it was so much fun. Even if you don't know a kid to order this zine for, you should get one for yourself and embrace your inner kid. Nathalie's rhymes and illustrations are adorbs! Order your copy here on Nathalie's website. It's only $5!

If you're like me, the day after ThanksLiving is the day you put up the Xmas tree. We go immediately from pumpkins, sweet taters, and pecan pie to holiday cookies, peppermint, and nog. Well, there's a new vegan nog on the market that trumps all others — So Delicious Coconut Milk Nog:


I've never had non-vegan egg nog because that sounds disgusting. But I've seen it, and it always looks really thick and creamy. Other vegan nogs taste great, but this one captures the thick, almost pudding-like consistency. Plus, it's even better spiked with a little brandy.

Also new this season is So Delicious Mint Chocolate Coconut Milk:


I'd say this is pretty on par with the other vegan mint chocolate milks on the market, but if you're anti-soy or soy-sensitive, this one has the added advantage of being made from coconut milk. It's delicious cold, but I made cheater hot chocolate with Dandies marshmallows on top ... just because I can.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Search 185 uses of a pig--most crayons contain pig. Of course, yours may have been vegan; just checking.

foodfeud said...

Haha, I love that you actually colored in the coloring book! I would probably love to do that too, it's been so long.

Lauren said...

That coloring book is awesome!

Liz said...

that coloring book is adorable. I haven't colored in ages either! but it looks fun

Gabriel said...

Were you able to find those marshmallows in Memphis, or did you have to order them online?

Bianca said...

Anonymous, I used colored pencils, so...I think we're good. But thanks for the tip.

And BHooke, unfortunately, Dandies aren't available in Memphis. These were in my gift bag from Vida Vegan Con, but I usually order them from Vegan Essentials. However, Whole Foods here does sell Sweet 'n' Sara marshmallows, and they're awesome.

Gabriel said...

Bianca, excellent! I thought Whole Foods sold some but couldn't find them the last time I went. I'll look again when I have more time. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The coloring book looks awesome! I have not colored in a awhile. I did not know that So Delicious has a holiday nog. Will have to look for it in my area up here in Pennsylvania.

Olivia said...

I love that you made some of your carrots purple!

Elle said...

You had said you weren't religious; why are you celebrating Christmas? Anyway, that book looks adorable and I hope something like that will be around when I have kids. :]

WendyMemphis said...

Did you find both holiday flavors at Whole Foods? I went a week ago. but only found nog and the pumpkin spice milk. I want that mint chocolate! Mmm.
Also, what's up with all the negative nancys (or neds) commenting on this post?

Yay!

aimee said...

What a sweet book! Thanks for sharing :-)

Leslie Richman said...

I love vegan winter drinks! I think I overdosed on vegan cocoa last year :p

smbp said...

This post just made my day - I am way exicted to get my just ordered coloring zine & am now officially on the lookout for the "nog"!

Erin said...

Nice work on the coloring! Stayed between the lines and everything. The coconut nog sounds so good, I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Bianca said...

Hey Elle. I'm not religious, but Christmas is celebrated by lots of secular folks. There's nothing inherently religious about Santa, presents, family, and holiday grub.

Christmas just so happens to fall around Winter Solstice or Yule, an ancient pagan holiday that celebrates the birth of the sun.

At Yule, celebrating the sun in times of darkness (the solstice is the longest night of the year) gave people hope ... very much like the Christian "son" of God gives some people hope. Very similar themes for celebrations that just so happen to fall on the same week. So for me, Christmas and Solstice are one and the same.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tender B. said...

Mint and coconut flavors...I'm ready and willing.

Katrina (Adams) said...

Bianca, where did you buy that coconut milk? I love to cook with the coconut milk in the cans, but I've never seen the kind that is made to drink. (However, I have seen some SoDelicious coconut ice cream at Kroger that I want to try.) But I bet that milk is delicious. I probably couldn't buy it anywhere in JBoro, huh??

Scissors and Spice said...

I have to get that coloring book for my daughter! Perfect! :)

Rebecca said...

I made some mint cocoa that was pretty darn good, without that "coat your mouth" feeling. Make mint tea, stir in a spoon of unsweetened cocoa, some Silk creamer, and a little agave, and you're good to go!