Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Field Roast Day!

Some years, I celebrate Tofurky Day. Last year, I had a Gardein Stuffed "Turkey" Day. But this year, I tried the new Field Roast Hazelnut Cranberry Roast. It's a Field Roast loaf stuffed with a hazelnut-cranberry-candied-ginger stuffing and wrapped in flaky, puff pastry. What?! Yes, girl. Yes:

Everything is better wrapped in puff pastry. Everything. So of course, this was no exception. The meaty part was pretty much on par with Field Roast's Celebration Roast, which is exceptional anyway. But it's so much better wrapped in pastry:

I smothered my Field Roast with gravy, and some of my Mama's yummy homemade Cranberry Sauce:

My Mama always makes vegan versions of everything for me, including her famous Cornbread Dressin'. Nobody makes better dressin' than my Mama! I've included her recipe in my cookbook, so when it comes out in April, you can all see your yourself:

She also made me a tiny vegan version of her Hash Brown Casserole (recipe is also in my cookbook). This has hash browns, vegan cream of celery soup, Tofutti sour cream, and lots of Daiya vegan cheddar. She usually tops it with cornflakes, but we were out. So we substituted crumbled potato chips!

Last year, we discovered this recipe for Asian Ramen Slaw, and we made it again this year. It's definitely a new tradition:

Granny brought over some Green Beans & Carrots:

And she also brought Corn with Bell Peppers. That buttery stuff is Earth Balance. My family uses Earth Balance in all the veggie dishes so I can eat them too:

Granny also brought her delicious Rape Greens with Turnips. Granny makes the very best greens, and she uses fresh greens that she picks herself:

Here's my plate loaded up with Thanksgiving goodness! And yes, I ate every bite. And yes, I was miserably full:

After about a 30 minute break from eating, I went for the dessert — a hefty slice of Granny's vegan Coconut Pie (the recipe for this will also be in my cookbook):

And my Mama made Caramel Pecan Bars from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. These were so much better than any pecan pie I've ever had. We heated them up in the microwave for a few seconds and then topped with vanilla ice cream:

Tomorrow, I celebrate my 7th veganaversary and 17-year vegetarian anniversary! My mom and I are going to brunch at Brother Juniper's, and I'll most certainly be eating leftovers for dinner.

16 comments:

foodfeud said...

I love that yr granny cooks with EB. Looks like an awesome plateful. No seconds??

Shannon said...

I had a slice each of the same Field Roast and Tofurkey. I got my first all vegan Thanksgiving dinner with mashed cauliflower, green bean casserole, and stuffing!

bitt said...

happy thanksgiving! so awesome your family made stuff you can enjoy. and happy veganversary too!

Allysia said...

My family's also super good about cooking with earth balance/non-dairy milk at Thanksgiving, so that the only things that aren't vegan are the turkey (um, duh) and the lemon meringue pie.

That cornbread dressin' looks great - actually, everything does. You guys have a killer awesome Thanksgiving spread, way different than what we do up here. But seriously, hash brown casserole? I'd be all over that. Happy veganaversary in advance! :)

Karen Beth said...

That roast looks SO good! I'm in Corinth, MS, near you kind of. Did you find that at Whole Foods?

msred5 at gmail dot com

Scissors and Spice said...

Ha! Tomorrow will be my 16 year veg anniversary! Funny!

Babette said...

Everything looks so good. It makes me regret not really celebrating Thanksgiving with all the fixings. I usually just bring a lunch at my relative who is receiving non-vegans. The field roast looks out of this world, just like the pie, the pecan bars, and basically everything else. I'm really looking forward to your cookbook.

Southern Purple Veggie said...

Happy Thanksgiving, and that plate of food looks awesome.

Sheridan said...

Wow! Seriously drooling! I wish I could have gotten in on some of the leftovers action! haha! I wish we had greens and turnips at our table. My family doesn't really care for them. But I made brussels this year and that went over well. I want that coconut pie!!!

Jenny said...

Well, I think you succeeded in making us all excited about your cookbook. As if we weren't already.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

it all looks amazing!!

Erin said...

That is a feast of epic proportions! Happy veganversary!

morganbb said...

I love that field roast, it is so yummy! Even some of my all meat eating family members like it :)

Germaine S Gordon said...

It all looks great!

Anonymous said...

Happy veganversary, Bianca!

Wendy French Barrett said...

Hey Bianaca, so glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving. That puff pastry wrapped tofurky is enough to convert me, that's for sure. Anyway, I'm writing because I'm wondering if we had a similar ramen salad. The one I had was so great. It had ramen noodles & almonds toasted in butter, topped with an Asian dressing, of course. It was so good. I'd never had it before, but I had an entire plate as my lunch the next day. Is that what your salad was like?