Sunday, November 6, 2011

Rocky Road!

My friend Misti had a baby shower over the weekend, and though none of the hosts were vegan, they were all so concerned that I found something to eat at the snack table. I told them all I needed was hummus with pita chips and a cocktail (yes, this was a fun baby shower ... the kind with liquor). That's plenty to make me happy.

But I knew the fancy, two-tiered, fondant-covered cake wouldn't be vegan, so I brought along some vegan cookies to share — Rocky Road Cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar:

These cocoa cookies were flecked with semi-sweet and white chocolate chips and roasted almonds. I'd been hoarding a few bags of vegan white chocolate chips that Panda Cookie had given me at a Nashville vegan potluck last year, and this was a great way to use some.

The cookies were soft and super-chocolatey. And the almond extract in the recipe gave them a really unique taste. But they didn't hold together so well. If not picked up gently, the cookies would fall apart.

But none of the omnivores at the party seemed to care if their cookies fell apart. One guy even proclaimed, after sampling a few, that he would go vegan if all vegan food tasted like those cookies! Score.

12 comments:

dreaminitvegan said...

Those cookies look so good. I need to get my hands on white chocolate chips...lucky girl.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Those are my favourite cookies ever. Every time I make them my (omni) friends go crazy for them.

foodfeud said...

Ooh nice! I haven't made those yet because whenever I find vegan white chocolate chips I make biscotti from that book. Those are pretty sturdy. Maybe they fell apart from being so loaded up?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenna said...

Yay for cookie activism! :)

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Ahh... the elusive vegan white chocolate chip... One of these days I'm gonna get my hands on them, one of these days...

Those cookies look good too! I wouldn't mind if mine fell apart either. :)

Angela said...

Hey, just found your blog via onegreenplanet.org. I'm a new vegan from Arkansas, living in Colorado now. I'm very much looking forward to your cookbook and perusing your blog! So fun.

Liz said...

those cookies look delicious, i'm not a big fan of almond flavored things but throw in chocolate chips and i'm converted

Katie said...

Why that's quite a compliment!

EvolveWithFlavor said...

Pretty awesome looking. Vegan deserts are really pretty hard to make, I salute you.

Rich
Co-Creator
http://www.evolvewithflavor.com

morganbb said...

Love that vegan cookie cookbook! Even the basic chocolate chip one's in there are way better than any regular chocolate chip cookie I've ever had.

pret cadastru said...

I like this recipe a lot, it is one of my favourites. I`ve tried it this morning and it was very good, thanks for sharing.