Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Vegan Challenge, Day 21: Cake for Breakfast!

I'm almost certain this isn't the first post I've written titled "Cake for Breakfast," which means this isn't the first time. Not hardly.

Although I prefer savory, hearty breakfasts, I occasionally opt for sweeter breakfast foods. Most often, that's something healthy, like peanut butter oats or cereal with soymilk. But today, that sweet breakfast treat was cake ... Cinnamon Coffee Cake, to be specific.

This recipe is from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's The 30-Day Vegan Challenge. Now don't get me wrong. Day 21 of her month-long plan for newbie vegans is actually about demystifying tofu, not eating cake for breakfast. But she includes a few dessert recipes in another chapter on baking without eggs. I made the cake to take to work this morning (and I did), but I couldn't resist a few pieces with my morning coffee.

The cake is made with whole wheat pastry flour and unrefined sugar, so it's kinda healthy. And the crunchy walnut topping is amazing! There's at least a tablespoon of cinnamon in the cake and topping. Nothing goes better with coffee than a moist-yet-crumbly cinnamon coffee cake. If new vegans are using Colleen's book as a motivator, tasty desserts like this will definitely help.

I only have a few more days left in Colleen's 30-day challenge. In case you've missed the last few blog posts on this, I'm reading through her step-by-step vegan challenge this month to review the book. Since my last post, I've read about B12, getting omega-3's from plant food, increasing iron absorption, vegan cheese options, and the protein myth. Colleen really does cover all the bases in this book. I wish I'd had this when I went vegan ...

13 comments:

The Health Sensei said...

we just had some coffee cake from vegan brunch...zomg! loving it...an bianca, i find myself pouring that rice seasoning into my mouth on its own...addictive!

Eric said...

I think I need more coffee cake in my life. Also I dont think I could do 30 days of anything, id probably forget or get too busy but the book sounds like a good guide.

Anonymous said...

I've got to check out that book! I love any type of challenge, plus that coffee cake looks delightful!

Babette said...

I love coffee cake with coffee... sounds like something I could treat myself to this weekend.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

Man. Don't know what I would do if I lived in the same neighborhood as you. I think I would have to find a running club or something because I would be pounding on your door for morning cake, coffee, and laughs. That cake is to die for, and even though I don't eat sugar anymore, I think if I lived near you, I would surely be baking donuts and cakes in no time at all. Yum. All I can say, is that I am sipping a banana arugula smoothie, and, well, that cake looks better!

Chef Amber Shea said...

Ohh, yeah...it's all about the crunchy-crumbly topping. You can bring me one of these when you come to KC. ;)

Just Us said...

I thought about gettig this book to help me transition my hubby over. We watched Forks Over Knives this past weekend and he got totally freaked out about his health. So, he's trying the vegan thing. Do you think the book would be good for him?

And, I wish I had some of that cake right now!

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

I'm in LOVE with cinnamon coffee cake - it was my ultimate comfort food. I don't think I've had it since becoming vegan. I'd love this recipe!

Leslie Richman said...

That looks so cozy and Autumn-like. What a nice way to start the day :)

Sheridan said...

ohmygod cinnamon coffee cake?!?! YES! Looks scrumptious!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tender B. said...

Not a coffee fan but even I realize how well this cake would go with it.

EverydayTastiness said...

looks delicious. I'd skip the coffee and opt for a second helping of cake ;)