Thursday, September 8, 2011

Muffins and Care Packages and New Blogs! Oh My!

I'm still trying to eat healthy, but muffins can be healthy, right? As I'm working my way through Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Vegan's Daily Companion, a daily affirmation book with weekly recipes, I'm trying to make as many dishes as I can. Every Saturday/Sunday (she combines those days in the entries), there's a new recipe. Last week's was Blueberry Lemon Muffins from The Joy of Vegan Baking:

I substituted whole wheat pastry flour for half the all-purpose called for, and though that lends the muffins a stickier texture, I feel better about eating them for breakfast with some whole grains in 'em. Also, I always bake with evaporated cane juice instead of white sugar. There's also frozen blueberries and lemon zest. A couple of these with a cold glass of So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk and a Zevia cola made the perfect breakfast this morning!

After starting my morning off awesome with these muffins, I didn't think the day could get any better. But it did when my care package arrived from Rick at The Health Sleuth! We agreed to do a package swap months ago, but I asked him to hold off sending it until I got back from Portland because I didn't have money to buy stuff for his package until after my trip. His package is in the mail, but check mine out!

There's two packages of organic King Soba ramen! One is Edamame Miso and the other is Chili Miso! Y'all know how I love ramen, and this is the healthy kind made with brown rice noodles and buckwheat noodles. I can't wait to try these.

Also in the package: habanero linguine, blueberry butter, maple cream (this stuff is like butter made from maple syrup!), salted pistachio chocolate (delicious! I opened this first!), fresh tortillas, a Texas BBQ Primal Strip, an assortment of bars, homemade eucalyptus hemp & tea tree soap, shea butter body cream, and some cute little Amish people magnets (Rick's from Pennsylvania). Thanks Rick!!

And finally, I have some great news! My best friend in the whole world ever, Sheridan, has started her own vegan blog! She went vegan in January, but she was vegetarian for several years before that. We've been best friends since the 8th grade, and we're still as tight as ever. She lives in Little Rock, Arkansas, so her blog is appropriately named Vegan In Arkansas. Check it out!

17 comments:

foodfeud said...

Isn't that sweet of Rick to veer towards the more decadent side of healthy for you? ;) Looks like a great swap!

Tender B. said...

A great idea to package swap. Love the little amish dolls.

The Health Sensei said...

foodfeud, thanks! yes i had to make sure i made Bianca happy with what I got for her. Vegan care package swaps kick ass!

The Health Sensei said...

And Tender B., thanks to you too! We got those on vacation in Amish country, a few hours north

Dana Vickerson said...

I've been reading your blog since going vegan over 3 years ago, and I live in Little Rock, so I'll definitely check out Vegans in Arkansas. Yay!

Chef Amber Shea said...

Awesome swap package! Lots of unique stuff in there.

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to do a swap with someone! I'm going to check out your girl's blog now :) I'm always excited to check out new blogs!

Leslie Richman said...

Awesome care package!!

Elise said...

Those amish dolls are cute! I'm feeling quite jealous looking at all the things you got which blatently aren't available in the UK!!

Nicola said...

That's so great that your best friend went vegan - I wish!

x

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

Looks awesome!

misss_e said...

Ooo these look good. Cute hair by the way!

Jenny said...

I'm really excited about Sheridan's blog! Going to check it out...

MeloMeals said...

Wow! That is an awesome package!

Sheridan said...

Thanks for the shout-out best friend!!! Oh and I made those muffins last night and man they are good! Drew and I devoured them!!

Dawn said...

That is quite the swell package! You know, I've been thinking about doing the same. Maybe a mid-MoFo month package swap could be a nice change of pace. :)

And I will definitely check out your friend's new blog!

Unknown said...

I just made these and they're amazing!! I'm really excited because me and my friends whenever met we do recipe like this.