Thursday, September 22, 2011

So Fresh and So Clean

I have a gum problem. Well, I did. Until I got kinda grossed out by all the artificial crap in gum. Wrigley's is vegan, but it's still loaded with fake sweeteners and junk. But without a decent healthier option, I still give in to my gum cravings on occasion ... usually after lunch when my breath's all funky. Oh, and most mints are just as bad with the artificial sweeteners, so ...

Enter EatWhatever. It's a new vegan breath-freshening system made with as few ingredients possible. The company sent me a free "prescription" to test them out:

Isn't that cute? Really though, you don't need a prescription to EatWhatever. You can buy the stuff on their website in convenient purse-sized packs:

Here's how it works: First, you swallow a gelatin-free gelcap filled with organic peppermint and parsley seed oils. That gets down in your insides and dissolves, but it takes a few minutes to start working. So in the meantime, you suck a regular, sugar-free, white mint for instant fresh breath. By the time it wears off, the gelcap has started working.

So does it work? I first put the mints to the test last week after downing a big ole plate of oniony, garlicky, Ethiopian Soy Curls and Potatoes. A few minutes after the instant mint wore off, I did notice that my mouth didn't have that nasty onion taste, but I still wouldn't have felt comfortable blowing my breath in someone's face.

However, tonight I tried them again after a less pungent meal of soup and polenta (I'll post of that meal sometime next week). And about an hour later, I noticed that when I burped, it tasted like mint! That would be the gelcap doing its job.

For now, EatWhatever isn't available in Memphis, but it's not too costly to order online. You can get 9 boxes of 10 servings (that's 10 gelcaps and 10 mints) for $22. That comes to about $3.75 per box. More than I'd pay for crappy gum, but not more than I'd pay for something better.

8 comments:

Shiny Happy Vegan said...

That stuff looks great- I do wish it was sold in stores and not just online though!

The Health Sensei said...

did they tell you what the "natural and artificial flavors" are in the mint? the gelcap ingredients i like, but the mint is iffy. Natural and artificial ingredients could very well mean aspartame, MSG, and a host of others...keep me posted!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

I was just thinking about starting to chew gum!
Did get the Rescue Remedy gum but it lost flavor after 1 second!

dazlious said...

Wow!! I'm also a gum addict.. not only after meal but all the time. I guess I have to try those although 22$ is quite pricey
Greetings from Germany (oh I hope that I can order them too)

Leslie Richman said...

That sounds like a fun little process on the way to minty breath!

Tender B. said...

A novel approach to fresh breath. I wonder if it will catch on seeing as it has to be mail ordered for most people.

Jenn said...

I love that stuff. I usually find it randomly near the check out aisle. It sounds cheaper online, though. It was probably closer to 5 bucks a package in New York.

Erin said...

That's a really interesting alternative to gum! Awesome that the gelcap is gelatin-free.