Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn Means Pie

I have a love-hate relationship with fall (you can read all about that here). But every year, as the leaves start to turn, I come to accept the change of the seasons. By the time the Autumn Equinox arrives, my thoughts change to "fall means the end of the summer, and that sucks" to "fall means pumpkin and Halloween and my birthday, and that's cool." That's about where I am now.

What moved me into this happy place with my fall feelings? Just a day after the equinox (that was Friday), I made Sarah Kramer's Pumpkin Pie from the 2011 Go Vegan Wall Calendar:

This creamy, spicy pie is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, and it's topped with a walnut crumble. I made the crust using my recipe for whole wheat pie crust (it'll be in my cookbook ... due out in April). And of course, no pumpkin pie is complete without a healthy squirt of Soyatoo Rice Whip. So, so good. Like autumn leaves in my mouth ... only not as crunchy and way tastier.

One note: A blog friend Babette pointed out a typo in the wall calendar recipe. The pie is also included in La Dolce Vegan, and there it only has 1/4 cup of cornstarch rather than the 3/4 cup called for on the calendar. So if you have Sarah's calendar and plan on making this pie, use 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Capiche?

23 comments:

Chef Amber Shea said...

Pumpkin pie is normally kinda boring to me, but add a walnut crumble and I'm THERE.

Can't wait for your cookbook! Do you have a list of potential reviewers going? If so, add me to it! :D

Sheridan said...

YUM, pumpkin pie time!!! I need to make some, especially now that I've seen this post. I want to bake autumny things!

Mihl said...

It is still so much like summer here. Everyone was wearing T-shirts yesterday. I still wouldn't say no to a slice of pie...

All about... (vegan) food said...

I was talking to my husband about pumpkin pie yesterday! I really want to do it but he hates cinnamon and ginger :P

Stacy said...

I feel your deep ambivalence about fall, but it could be worse--you could live up north!

The Health Sensei said...

i am 100% ready for my first piece of pumpkin pie this year. if i don't get some soon i'll make pumpkin pie oatmeal myself :D

Caitlin said...

i have a similar relationship to fall. i think it's that i like fall(the weather, the food, halloween), but it leads up to winter which i hate. but this pumpkin pie definitely looks like it makes the changing of the seasons a little easier. i absolutely love that it has a walnut crumble and is sweetened with maple syrup ;)

side note- i can't wait for your cookbook to come out ;)

VeggieLow said...

i had a pumpkin spice latte b/c was excited about fall... but was too early. it's still hot and ppl are in tank tops... just wasn't the same. but maybe i could go for pumpkin pie like this...looks fab. I went to dc vegfest this weekend and got a sampler of Isa and Terry's new pie book. so excited about it coming out next month! also can't wait for your book, too!

xvavaveganx said...

Wow that pie looks SOOO good! I'm definitely going to have to give it a try!

urban vegan said...

Looking good, Bianca. I'm with you about fall...I don't like it. I guess it's pessimistic of me to see it as the end of something.

Babette said...

It must have been so good with the Soyatoo!

T said...

That looks so delish. I always think of summer as being the pie-time, but maybe you are right...

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

I love fall because I am ghostly white due to my Danish influence. (Not from being vegan :)
And I love pie!!
YUM!

Leslie Richman said...

Yum! I love Fall and pie <3

Helen said...

I am exactly with you on the end of summer sadness and the beginning of fall excitement! pie looks yummy! :-)

Erin said...

Now you've got me thinking that a combo pumpkin/pecan pie would be really good for Thanksgiving. I'm sure it's been done before...

Just Us said...

I don't have the calendar, but I sure wish I did. That pie looks sooooo good!!!!!

Brittany Boersma said...

Uhhhh that looks so awesome!

Carissa said...

That pie looks so yummy! I wish I could have that recipe :) Don't have that particular book. I haven't been by your blog in over a year so I am just catching up now :)

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure pumpkin pie is my favorite fall/winter food. SO TASTY!

Tender B. said...

My favorite thing about fall. Pumpkin pie.

Ali - YumVeggieBurger said...

mmmm... I've been putting off my spree of baking all things pumpkin because I am still in denial about summer being over, but I think I am starting to be won over ;)

Lee Ann said...

I can't wait to see your cookbook.
I saw a sign for a waffle house yesterday and was so wishing that I could stop. Waffles, grits and gravy - yum.