Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cleanse Vacation

So I realize it's a little soon after Vida Vegan Con to take a cleanse vacation, but it's Labor Day! It's the last official grilling day of summer. And that means burgers and beer, right?

We celebrated with WAY TOO MUCH grilled food! Here's my friend Greg manning the flames:


We started by placing some marinated tofu and asparagus on the grill:


And then we charred some zucchini and squash, some Boca burgers, and a few portabella mushrooms. I like my food a little burnt, but Greg doesn't. So I got to eat most of the grilled veggies in this batch:


We also grilled corn (yum!!), and I dressed my veggie burger with Miso Mayo, Nacheez Sauce (which I picked up in Portland), tomatoes, and lettuce:


And Greg made vegan potato salad! He was too cheap to buy Vegenaise, so he used a mixture of soymilk, silken tofu, lemon juice, vinegar, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and a tad bit of soy sauce to make his own. Plus, he added cooked onions. Yum!


What did you eat for Labor Day?

12 comments:

JL goes Vegan said...

His "mayo" sounds delish!

I made a seitan Mexican Sausage (think Italian, only with taco seasoning) and smothered it with sauerkraut and mustard. Sort of boring but I bulk cooked Sat. and Sun. and just decided to eat it because it had just come out of the oven. LOL

Elise said...

I love bbq!! Shame the weather has already gone into winter mode in the UK so no more outside cooking for another year (unless you're my mum).

The Health Sensei said...

we had chicken of the woods mushrooms with BBQ sauce, plus corn on the cob, and a tomato salad...yum

Nicola said...

Oh yikes the potato salad looks heavenly!

X

Chef Amber Shea said...

Looks good! Makes me wish I had a grill. I've just been eating the sh!t out of watermelon and roasted cauliflower, as usual.

Sherri - PDX Yogini said...

Our Labor Day dinner also featured some use of the grill -- isn't there some rule that you have to grill something on Labor Day?

Anyway, my lovely wife made her family's macaroni salad recipe, a tossed salad, and Tofurky beer brats with all the fixins'. We're seriously divided on the proper fixins' - she's all yellow mustard & sweet pickle relish while I am all about the grainy mustard and dill relish.

Madelyn said...

How do you keep the tofu from crumbling? I just bought a tofu press and hoping that will help.

Erin said...

Sounds like a fun holiday barbecue! We stayed in and ate leftovers and did as little as possible. NFL season starts this week, so our grilling opportunities are far from over.

morganbb said...

What do you marinate your tofu in?

Bianca said...

Hey Morgan! Greg made the marinade but I know it had soy sauce and lots of garlic and onion powder. And probably a bunch more randomness. :-)

Madelyn, we actually lost part of the first round of grilled tofu because we forgot to spray the tofu with oil. So we sprayed with oil on the second batch, and the tofu came up just fine.

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

Everything looks great - and what topped your grill looked similar to ours! I liked the idea of creating your own "veganaise" for the potato salad. It sounded delicious! We made our own bean burgers, grilled corn (made a veg. sour cream, cayenne pepper and oregano corn topping), and skewered marinaded baby potatoes. So good!

Tender B. said...

Does the "mayo" taste similar to veganaise? Looks like a great last meal before a cleanse.