Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Spreads for Breads

Somehow, I've acquired a buttload of spreads lately. And it just so happens that one of my favorite go-to breakfasts is bread schmeared with nut butter and other yummies. Here are a few of my current spreadables.

There's this homemade White Chocolate Peanut Butter that I purchased from Amber of Almost Vegan at Vida Vegan Con. She lugged, like, 30-something jars with her from Kansas City so her partner Matt could peddle them while she attended the conference. Paul and I both bought a jar, so we have plenty ... for now. But Amber, I'm gonna need your recipe. ;-)

Then, there's this cute ass jar of Maple Cream that I received last week in a care package from Rick of the Health Sleuth and his partner Sabrina. Imagine maple syrup that's thick like butter. Oh yes, it's delicious.

And my buddy Stephanie brought me back this GIANT jar of Marmite from her recent trip to the U.K. Any long-time readers have certainly read my gushings about Marmite in the past. I love this yeasty spread, and although our Whole Foods sells it, it's way overpriced there.

Last week, Whole Foods did have at least one thing seriously underpriced though. Ricemellow Creme! It was only 94 cents a tub, and this stuff usually runs around $4 per tub. There were only two left, so I grabbed both. Not sure why they were marked down so low. They're nowhere near expiration. Hope they're not phasing it out. There is no greater pleasure that a fluffer-nutter sandwich made with peanut butter and Ricemellow Creme. Take that, marshmallow fluff. Nobody needs you and your dumb old melted-down animal skin and bones. Ick! How can people eat gelatin knowing what's in it?

Paul and I each got a squeeze pack of nut butter in our Vida Vegan Con dorm room gift bags. Mine was Artisana Raw Almond Butter!

And lastly, this isn't new, but it is delicious. I'm still working on this jar of homemade Blueberry Jam from Megan of Vegan Whore. She sent it to me in a care package swap last year, but I already had so many jams open at the time that I opted to hoard the jar for later. Well, now it's later, and I am tearing this stuff up! Yum!

I bought a Italian Country Loaf from Shoaf's Loaf at the Memphis Farmers Market on Saturday, and I've been spreading a couple slices with spreads each morning this week. Monday, I had a Fluffer Nutter slice (Ricemellow Creme and White Chocolate Wonderful PB) and a Maple PB slice (Maple Cream and crunchy plain PB):

And this morning, I had a taste of sweet and savory. One slice was spread with the raw almond butter and blueberry jam and the other with crunchy plain PB and Marmite (best combo ever, by the way):

What do you like to spread on your bread?

19 comments:

VeganLinda said...

Oh my, it all looks so good!

JL goes Vegan said...

I love Marmite, too! I started mixing it with peanut butter after reading one of your posts!

And, er, thanks for the reminder -- I bought some of Amber's peanut butter and haven't opened it. I also have some Rawtella that I picked up from Organic Avenue and haven't opened that either. What am I waiting for?!

As you know, I'm on a bread baking kick lately so I'm all about the spread. My latest obsession is the simple peachy butter I whipped up this weekend (earth balance, pureed peach and cinnamon). Next month I'll be going upstate (NY) for apple picking...two words: apple butter!

The Health Sensei said...

holy spreads! Wow! I'm still gonna say maple cream is teh best though ;)

foodfeud said...

That maple cream sounds amazing but I'm all about blueberry jam. I do second JL's apple butter though! That's definitely a fall favorite. Not only spreadable; it's great stirred into hot oatmeal.

Caitlin said...

all of your spreads looks delicious!

Sheridan said...

ohmygoodness!! YUM! And now I am hungry for bread and spreads! I wish I had some of that homemade blueberry jam for sure! And maple cream sounds amazing!!!

simplynutritiouskate said...

I love spreads the white chocolate butter looks amazing as does the maple butter, yum!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh wow, that maple cream sounds out of this world! Also I really REALLY need to get my hands on that rice mellow creme, yum!

Anonymous said...

I like earth balance and honey best, closely followed by tofuttie or FYH cream cheese with green olives.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I get Shaun to bring me the giant jars of marmite too!!! We go through SO MUCH in this house!!

PB and Co. makes some crazy-tasty peanut butters too!! Dark Chocolate? OMG!

Chef Amber Shea said...

Glad to hear the PB's a hit! Oh man, I bet it's awesome paired with Ricemallow Creme...with *I* had some left!

Best thing to spread on bread = nut butter, hands down. So versatile, so delicious. But that maple cream sounds awfully incredible too!

Erin said...

Those are some deluxe looking toast slices! Under a buck is seriously cheap for Ricemellow.

Jessica said...

Maple and PB sounds good to me... but I also like just EB or oil and garlic. Yes, even for breakfast.

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

Lately I've been spreading my bread with a Biscoff / dark chocolate spread. It's not the most healthy thing ever, but it's delicious!

I'm also about to open up a jar of pumpkin butter... I love that stuff!

As for maple butter, I've never tried it but I bet it's glorious! I love anything maple-y.

Katie said...

Omg, that maple cream looks MAGICAL! Just now realizing that I caps-yell a lot in your comments...

Tender B. said...

Like the rhyming title of the post. I spread all of those things on my bread (except Marmite, I have yet to track that down). I think my favorite bread spread is hummus.

Eric said...

I've never had this Ricemellow Creme before. I think I need to find some though.

Dawn said...

I'm so bummed I missed out on Amber and Matt's peanut butters! Next time.

And I'm going to have to get my hands on some of that maple cream, stat.

Reading over this post makes me realize that I'd struggle going gluten-free: I love my breads and their spreads too dang much!

Georgie said...

Actually there's no gelatine in marshmallow fluff, at least not the one in the U.K., there are egg whites though so its still not vegan :( Marmite is pretty expensive here too, I bought of those big jars yesterday and it was £4.99 (about $8) but it lasts so long and you can't make sheperdess pie without it! Not to mention that its amazing on toast and full of vitamins!