Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vegan Kickstart Weekend Wrap-Up (Days 7, 8, & 9)

Saturday marked one week of being on the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart plan. So far, so good. I feel great. I don't feel deprived (although I could really go for a vegan peanut butter cup right now). And I'm not hungry all the time. This weekend boasted a fabulous meal plan!

Friday
I started the last day of the work week with this hearty bowl of Breakfast Rice Pudding made from leftover brown rice, soymilk, maple syrup, cinnamon, and raisins:

Lunch was a giant Spinach Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing. The creamy dressing was homemade and simply contained ground sesame seeds, orange juice concentrate, and rice vinegar. I added chickpeas for protein:

My snack on Friday was this tropical bowl of Ambrosia — a fruit salad made with bananas, dried cranberries, pineapple, oranges, coconut, and almond extract:

Dinner on Friday was a big ol' plate of Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Simple Marinara Sauce and my leftover stir-fry veggies. The sauce was made with red wine and it was oh-so-yummy:


Saturday
I started the weekend with a hearty bowl of Oat Bran with Dried Apricots and Cinnamon. The plan suggested oatmeal, but I had to buy oat bran for another recipe and I wanted to get my money's worth. I'd never had oat bran before but it was delicious!

Lunch was a Missing Egg Sandwich with homemade Tortilla Chips and Salsa. The Missing Egg spread was like a tofu egg salad but it's made with silk tofu instead of firm. Different, but tasty. The chips were baked wedges of corn tortilla:

My snack on Saturday was Frozen Mango Cubes. I couldn't find plain frozen mango, so I had to pick the cubes out of a bag of mixed smoothie fruit. A few pineapple chunks made it into my bowl on accident:

Dinner was Barbecue-Style Portabellas with Quinoa and Steamed Kale. The homemade 'cue sauce was quite different from the sauce I'm used to. It featured a roasted red pepper and tomato juice base. The mushrooms were slow-simmered in the sauce. So far, this was one of my favorite recipes in the plan:


Sunday
This morning began with another bowl of Smart Bran with Blueberries and Soymilk. Simple and satisfying:

Sunday's lunch was another "eating out" option — Salad Bar! I chose the Whole Foods salad bar since it has the healthiest options of any other salad bar in town. This salad was piled high with raw kale, greens, spinach, chickpeas, orzo pasta, sesame sticks, wasabi peas, English peas, cauliflower, corn, bell peppers, radishes, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and balsamic dressing:

My snack today was Oranges and Raisins:

Dinner was Simple Bean Tacos and Mexican Corn Salad. These tacos were made by spreading refried beans onto corn tortillas and then warming them quesadilla-style in a dry skillet. They're topped with salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, and green onion:

I also got a dessert tonight — Berry Mousse. This was similar to Thursday's chocolate raspberry mousse but sans the cacao powder. Tasty and very pink:

9 comments:

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) said...

Everything looks so delicious!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) said...

Everything looks so delicious!

The Health Sensei said...

i want those ports! that had to be an awesome meal!

Kelsey said...

the portabellas look awesome!

foodfeud said...

That's a lot of great looking food...and a very pink mousse.
I also love the addition of almond extract to the fruit salad; what a great idea!

aimee said...

Looks like you've been doing a good healthy job of ringing in the new year!

Anonymous said...

Bianca,
What did you use in your stir fry for your stir fry post? I see asparagus and tempeh but not sure about the rest. Yours looks alot better than theirs sounds!

Anonymous said...

Bianca,
I am also wondering if there is a specific amount of calories you are supposed to have each day?

Bianca said...

Hey Kim. The stir-fry was made with a frozen bag of stir-fry veggies from Kroger — just snap peas, pepper, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, and onions. No asparagus but that would have been yummy!

As for calories, the plan doesn't really take that into account. But according to my Lose It app on the iPhone (not that I'm trying to lose anything, just counting to make sure I don't gain), I'm allowed 1697 calories per day for my weight.