Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Tea Party That Didn't Happen

My friend Stephanie (Poopie Bitch) turned 30 on Friday, and she planned an Alice In Wonderland-themed tea party to celebrate on Saturday. I signed up to bring the finger sandwiches. And since I was going to dress as the Queen of Hearts, I made some surprise cookies with heart-shaped cut-outs. And then Stephanie called on Saturday morning to say that she had the flu, and she'd have to cancel the party. Poor Stephanie!

Luckily, I already had another party to attend that was scheduled to happen before Stephanie's. So I brought my food there instead. Food Awareness, our local vegetarian group, met on Saturday just after lunch for a screening of Food Inc. I brought my Cucumber & Cream Cheeze Sandwiches:

These were made with cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar, mirin, and a pinch of evaporated cane juice. The cream cheeze is Tofutti.

I also made some Tofu & Olive Eggless Salad Sandwiches using a recipe from my upcoming cookbook:

And I made these Adorable Bleeding Heart Sandwich Cookies from the Vegan Cookie Connoisseur:

These cookies were incredible! The cookie part were ultra-soft sugar cookies and they were sandwiched together with buttercream and strawberry preserves. So far, the Vegan Cookie Connoisseur has been a huge hit!

The film screening wasn't a potluck, but one of our members Amy also brought a dish — this amazing Orange "Chicken" Paella:

She used vegan chicken strips, and the rice had a really strong orange flavor. So tasty. In addition, we had Thai coconut soup, a lentil spinach stew, and lots of snacky foods. Here's a picture of my plate filled with cashews, soy nuts, my sandwiches, Amy's rice, carrots, hummus, and chips:

14 comments:

The Health Sensei said...

this is all droolworthy yumminess!

chocolate-covered katie said...

Oh my gosh, an Alice in Wonderland theme party?!? I am gonna hafta steal that one.
Or maybe when you do get around to having the party, I will be an uninvited guest :).

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

What a delicious-looking tea party that wasn't! It makes me want to throw a tea party for someone ASAP.

Ooh, and I hope your friend lets you post the recipe for the Orange "Chicken" Paella...

Erin said...

An Alice In Wonderland Party sounds so awesome! Too bad it didn't happen. Your sandwiches and cookies are adorable!

Millie said...

All of those dishes look awesome. Enjoy your food.

Mihl said...

Poor Poopie indeed!

The cookies are adorable and I think I'm in love with the colour of that paella!

Sarah S. said...

What a delicious party! So sad for Stephanie :(

The Slow One said...

Sometimes I wish we could taste food through the Internet... yum!

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

Holy cow! What a spread! I wish I was there (or at least had all the leftovers in my fridge right now).

T said...

Wow awesome set-up! But those cookies are the cutest of all. I would gobble those up, stat.

Jessica said...

Is Stephanie going to reschedule her party? That theme sounds great, and the food looks good too. I guess you never really have trouble finding some folks to enjoy good vegan eats!

dreaminitvegan said...

How fun that would be to have a tea party like that! Yummy food and those cookies, yes!

Vegan In The VI said...

This will teach Poopie Bitch not to get sick! No finger sandwiches for her!

Lindsay said...

I love those tea sandwiches! they look so great