Thursday, January 20, 2011

Vegan Kickstart: Day 19 (with Taste!)

I have my sense of taste back! Well, at least in the eating sense. I've never really had the best taste for style. But you know what I mean. I'd lost my ability to taste yesterday as a result of a nasty case of bronchitis, but I'm feeling much better today.

Breakfast on Day 19 of the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart plan was a Green Goodie Smoothie — pineapple juice, soymilk, frozen peaches, raspberries, and Amazing Grass Superfood powder. The recipe suggested using spirulina, but I couldn't find small sample packets of that stuff. I didn't want to buy a whole jar of spirulina because it's pricey and I know it will go to waste. But the Amazing Grass contains spirulina and lots of other healthy stuff, so I grabbed a one-serving packet from Whole Foods:

Lunch was a simple Tomato, Cucumber, & Basil Salad. I wasn't all that excited about this dish because I'm tired of salads. But it was tasty dressed with a little fig balsamic vinegar:

Although the salad was the only item listed for lunch, that wasn't enough for my massive appetite. Thankfully, I had lots of Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Pita left from Monday's snack, so I added this to my lunch:

I had a meeting after work, and I was glad to have some homemade Berry Applesauce to tide me over until dinner. This was made from cooked-down Fuji apples and frozen mixed berries:

Dinner was Dining Out: Italian Night, the last dining-out day on the cleanse. So many Italian joints serve fresh pasta (made with eggs), but according to Vegan Express, several of Macaroni Grill's items are vegan so that's where we went. The boyfriend and I made a dinner date of it. I started with a bowl of Mediterranean Olives:

And I ordered the Capellini Pomodoro — the same dish I always order here. It's baby-fine capellini noodles tossed with extra virgin olive oil, fresh tomatoes, and basil. I normally only eat half and save the rest for later, but I downed this whole plate! I was hungry.


What vegan items do you order from Italian restaurants?

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

OOOOh that applesauce is such a gorgeous color!

The Health Sensei said...

we never eat at Italian restaurants anymore, ever since going vegan...too sketchy. thats sweet you found something vegan!

T said...

Cool glass! I almost always get pasta pomodoro or whatever the spicy tomato sauce is... but honestly, I like my own Italian better! Glad you got your taste and appetite back! I'm surprised you even got sick eating so healthy.

Lindsay said...

i could eat that entire bowl of olives yum!

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

I have a wheat sensitivity, so no Italian restaurants for me! (Until they start to offer wheat-free pasta, of course.)

Vic Robinson said...

I really love that glass! Too cute! Looks like a nice night out as well. :)

http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

Rachel W. said...

That capellini looks AMAZING! Good suggestion of a vegan pasta dish when you're out at an Italians restaurant!!

aimee said...

I haven't been to an Italian restaurant in so long, I wouldn't even know what to order! Your smoothie sounds great! Glad you can taste again!

Ricki said...

Love the smoothie! I made a green smoothie today as well--nothing boosts the immune system like it. :) And love the date idea--what fun! Sadly, I don't relaly eat in Italian restos anymore since I no longer eat gluten. . . sniff, boo hoo.

Steph - VegFortWorth said...

Italian's not my favorite. There's a Lebanese/Italian place near my house that has Daiya, so I'll get a pizza there, but for the most part I avoid Italian, or just stick to whole wheat pasta and red sauce.

Your dish looks pretty good though!

MeloMeals said...

Oh I love fig balsamic vinegar!

First, I always make sure their marinara isn't made with pork and they don't simmer their meatballs in the marinara ( you'd be surprised how many places do that! ).. I usually get something with marinara and ask them to put white beans or chickpeas in my dish .. but I rarely go out to eat. I just don't enjoy it.

Glad you're feeling better

VeggieLow said...

Tat is so awesome that the capellini pomodoro is veg - haven't had that in years! Usually I stick to olives at italian restaurants.. usually places have a soup that's veg too... and there's always salad... I feel you on the sick of salads thing!

VeggieLow said...

That is so awesome that the cap pomodoro from Mac Grill is Veg - haven't had it in forever! Usually at italian, I get the soup if it's veg or i just play it safe w/ a salad - totally understand your sick of salads sentiment!

thaneda said...

Hello,

I really love your spider web tumbler - it's delightful. Also, I wanted to mention that I really enjoy reading your blog posts. Thanks a lot for writing :)

-thaneda

Unknown said...

Love the spider web cup. Berry sauce looks awesome. I usually get a pomodora or an olive oil based sauce.