Monday, January 3, 2011

Vegan Kickstart Day 3

I'm in my third day of PCRM's 21-Day Vegan Kickstart meal plan, which as I mentioned yesterday, I'm following as a way to make up for my crazy holiday gluttony. It's all about whole foods and no refined sugar. I'm using the Kickstart iPhone app to guide my meals each day.

This morning started with another bowl of Apple Cinnamon Oats:

This is same dish that started my cleanse on January 1st. Though the plan doesn't repeat meals too often, I do like that you eat the same thing on occasion. Since I only cook for myself, I like to make the most of the ingredients that I buy. This makes the plan somewhat more economical than other healthy meal plans I've seen.

Lunch was a Hummus & Veggie Sandwich:

When I first saw that lunch was just a sandwich with no chips, I panicked a bit. I always eat chips with sandwiches. What would I do without my precious salty crisps? But alas, I realize that I'm banned from enjoying potato chips for now. My sandwich — loaded with Cedar's Roasted Garlic & Chive Hummus, avocado, red bell pepper, tomato, cucumber, and spinach —was quite filling on its own.

By the way, you'll notice my pita is made with white bread. I couldn't find whole wheat pita that didn't either contain l-cytasine or honey, both animal by-products. Whole Foods carries sprouted grain pitas, but that was too far of a drive last night when I was planning lunch. Oh well.

For my snack, I was allowed to have soy yogurt with berries. I happily chowed on this So Delicious Agave Sweetened Blueberry Yogurt with frozen blueberries at my desk around 4:30 p.m.:

I hit the gym after work where I spent 30 minutes on the stationary bike, followed by a little arm weight action. I was famished when it was finally time to eat dinner — Curried Lentil Soup with Couscous Confetti Salad:

Once again, tonight's meal made use of the leftover couscous salad, which I originally made for Saturday's lunch. The lentil soup was a simple combination of brown lentils, crushed tomatoes, brown rice couscous, onions, celery, and curry powder.

I feel pretty great on the Kickstart plan so far although I did experience some chocolate cravings tonight. Luckily, I was able to get that under control with an agave-sweetened cup of hot Samurai Chai from Teavana.

9 comments:

carlee said...

Hey!! I just randomly found your blog while searching for a recipe! I love it! and you take beautiful photos!

The Health Sensei said...

way to be with this kickstart plan, you're kicking ass! we're doing a juice feast/herbal cleanse and it's awesome as well :)

Unknown said...

Hummus and pita sandwich looks great. I'm thinking I need to get on that sometime this week, a nice easy lunch that is tasty and filling.

MeloMeals said...

So good! I found these great 60 calorie pita breads at my grocery store.. although I should probably lay off the gluten.

keep up the great work!

Erin said...

The Kickstart does look like a really nice way to kind of scale back and get back to normal food after holiday indulgences. I haven't seen the agave sweetened yogurt before and am very intrigued! I love soy and coconut yogurt but often rue the amount of sugar in them.

sabine @ thefruitpursuit said...

I'vr had that app for weeks! I need to start makinmg some recipes from it, that lentil soup looks delish!

Helen said...

Bianca, I'm with you... I quit coffee (okay... I'm GRADUALLY reducing coffee) for my NYs resolution... cut way back on the sugar too, and went back to The Kind Diet for inspiration. Hello beans, grains, and greens! Good luck to you :-) Just don't make the mistake I've made in the past and make it about restriction instead of an abundance of yummy food. I fail every time I make it about restriction.

Meghan said...

Hmmm I think I will do this plan in the near future...I have a good "food groove" going but like to switch things up every now and again.

vko said...

oh girl- I totally hear you about sandwich w/o no chips- I love me my chips, but as with your cleanse- you will not miss that at all when you are done. so excited to read & see the rest of your kickstart journey- what a great idea!