Sunday, March 28, 2010

How To Cook Brinner

On Saturday, Stephanie (a.k.a. Poopie Bitch) and I presented our second cooking demo this month! This time, we cooked brinner for the fine folks at the Pu-Lin Buddhist Temple. We made a Tofu Scramble with Fresh Veggies and Diner-Style Home Fries. And we brought along a batch of my Whole Wheat Butter-Soymilk Biscuits to complete the meal.

We split up the demonstrating duties, and I got the Tofu Scramble. Here I am sauteeing the almost-finished product with mushrooms, spinach, carrots, vegan sausage, and tomatoes:

We used my recipe for scramble, which you can find here. But the people in this particular Buddhist tradition don't eat garlic or onions, so we left that stuff out. Here's my hand crumblin' some tofu into the second batch (we made four batches to feed the crowd):

Steph took the reins with the Diner-Style Home Fries, an onion-free variation on Isa's recipe from Vegan Brunch:

Look how preggers Stephanie is! Her vegan baby is due in July. Not only does she make vegan babies, she also makes some bomb-ass home fries. Check it:

We worked side-by-side, demonstrating the recipes and answering questions about veganism. My friend Greg was there too — occasionally chiming in with interesting vegan tips. He doesn't look very happy in this picture, but I assure you he was:

After the demo, we spread the food — scramble, taters, biscuits, and pineapple and cantalope — out on a table and filled our plates:

Here's the whole class standing in front of an awesome altar decorated with golden Buddhist statues:

The guy in the white shirt on the far right is Henry. He's the one who invited us to cook at the temple, which doubles as his home. Thanks Henry! And thanks to Steph's husband Richard for taking these awesome pictures with my camera!

25 comments:

Lisa said...

this is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks mouth watering and delicious! Your crowd must have been drooling by the time you got to serving!

vko said...

What fun! Bet you were able to bring some of those Buddhists over to veganism with your delicious eats!

The Voracious Vegan said...

First of all, you are STUNNING! Seriously, just gorgeous. And second of all - YUMMMM!!!! You two made one of my favorite breakfasts, scrambles and biscuits, and you can't forget the home fries. Delicious!

Millie said...

Nice Job...those fries looked scrumptious!

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

Velovegan said...

I love your blog, everything looks so good, I want to pick it out of the computer screen and eat it ^_^

Anonymous said...

I love that you two are out there, doing what needs to be done to show the peeps how easy, healthy & delicious the vegan cuisine is!

Vegan In The VI said...

Cool idea to hand crumble the tofu. I always mash it with a fork, but I'm gonna do it by hand now.

jessy said...

you and Steph are rock'n out with the cooking demos. that kicks ass, Bianca! i was talking to a friend this weekend who knows someone who is Buddhist and they too abstain from garlic and onions and a few other veggies in addition to animal products. brinner = the best, and the one you ladies cooked up looks amazing! :)

Mihl said...

Oh wow, You are two awesome cooks!

Julie said...

That is some delicious looking food! Yum. and can I also be shallow and say that I really want your shirt.

Lauren @ Eater Not a Runner said...

Everything looks so good!

Chrissy said...

What a great way to spread the vegan love! Looks delicious!

thedalyn said...

Vegan babies rock! It's perhaps the best way to make more vegans...

thedalyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JohnP said...

Such fun!

o. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

I wonder why they don't eat garlic? I'd be so sad without aromatics... alas, your brinner scramble looks amazing, and so do PB's homefries!

Pure2Raw Twins said...

Great job! Everything looks great :)

Veg-In-Training said...

I love that you guys are doing these demos and spreading the vegan love.

Sheridan said...

WOW! I so wish I could have been there! It all looks amazing and I know it was because I remember a similar menu for the morning after my birfday! You and Stephanie look so cute too! I want our restaurant now!

Heather (Where's the Beach) said...

I just happened to stumble upon your site searching for vegan frittata. So glad I did. You're not too far from where I am. Love the cookbook idea!

Shannon-Rabbit Food said...

I must agree with The Voracious Vegan. Not trying to be a creeper, but you are just gorgeous.

Heather said...

This is so awesome, Bianca! I bet it was so rewarding to be there, sharing your passion for vegan food.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Whoa, that looks like an awesome spread!