Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mmm....tofu!

A few weeks ago, my friend Stephanie of Poopie Bitch posted a recipe for some scrumptious-lookin' Tamarind Orange Glazed Tofu on her blog. I'd never had tamarind before, but I was curious and I'd been craving some glazed, fried tofu. I finally picked up some tamarind paste at the Asian/Mexican market, so tonight's dinner was Steph's tasty tofu dish:

So, so good ya'll. The tamarind has a taste that I can't even explain, but it perfectly complements the orange and maple flavors in the glaze. Make it. It's good. And easy!

On the side, I created this Caramelized Brussel Pecan Saute for my cookbook:

I'd always roasted my brussel sprouts before, but I'd been dreaming up this sauteed version (with toasty pecans) for some time. My inspiration was a success. These little baby cabbages got all sweet and caramelized in the saute pan, and the crunchy pecans were an awesome addition.

22 comments:

Andrea said...

the tofu looks delicious ; ) !

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oh snap! I would take a bite out of either of these!

Anonymous said...

Brussels! *drools*

Lisa said...

what a great meal! Yum.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

looks great, like the idea of pecans with the brussels too. yum.

miss v said...

i usually steam my brussels... sauteing sounds exciting!

Recipe man said...

i love tofu. i like to leave in the sauce a while to absord the tastes and flavors

looks great

Gena said...

Mmm, brussel sprouts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, I'm glad you liked the recipe! In a highly coincidental twist of fate, we ate that tofu last night as well. I wish I'd had your brussels to go with it though... yum!

A said...

When is your cook book coming out?!?!? I can't wait to try this and all your other recipes!
-A

jessy said...

i’ve never had tamarind before either, Bianca – but you better believe i’ll be on the look out for some so i can make Steph’s tamarind orange glazed tofu – it looks wonderful! and your caramelized brussel pecan saute sounds like absolute heaven! brussels are my all time faaaavorite veggie – and i love, love, LOVE pecans! mmmmmmmmmm! i can’t wait to test ‘em out! superw00t!

Anonymous said...

You know, I looked for tamarind paste after reading her post - but I can't find any...yet anyway. I really want to try that! And those brussles look so good!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

hell yes.

Cyn said...

I made that tofu too! It was delicious. And brussels sprouts are one of my very favorite foods, I can't wait to test yours! Especially with pecans, yum!

I made your pecan dijon seitan last night, and everyone loved it! Two of the people I served it to had never had seitan before, and they were amazed.

Chelsea said...

That tofu looks so good! I love the tamarind chutney I get at Indian restaurants, but I've never cooked with it myself.

LeAnne said...

Wow, that looks absolutely marvelous. I would love to have some of that for dinner tonight.

Vegan In The VI said...

I think your cookbook will be VERY successful. I'm ready to buy one now!

A_and_N said...

Cook book? Where is the line?

MeloMeals said...

omg, I NEED that tofu and the brussels... They both look perfect.

Mike K said...

Love that tamarind glazed tofu, and the brussels sprout saute looks so good!

Sheridan said...

I LOVE Brussel sprouts. You must make these next time i visit!!!

Macie said...

It's 9am and I am seriously craving some nonbreakfast foods now! Hot damn, those brussels look good!