Monday, May 18, 2009

My Favorite Cookies From the Sixth Grade

When I was little, my best friend Amy's mom made the best after school treats with cornflakes and peanut butter. I was kinda chubby back then, and I'd pop two or three at a time. I didn't really even care for sweets then, but I made an exception for these chewy cornflake (and sometimes she used Cheerios) cookies. I was recently reminded of them when I saw something similar for sale at a backwoods gas station in Middle Tennessee.

Amy has since moved off to Washington (I think that's where she is now...she moves all the time because her husband is in the Navy). But we still talk on Facebook, so I asked for her mom's recipe to include in my cookbook. I made a few changes and came up with these Chewy Peanut Butter Cornflake Balls:

The original recipe called for corn syrup, but Skinny Bitch has turned me off corn syrup of any kind! So I subbed maple syrup. I also had to add extra peanut butter to make the cornflakes stick together. Next time, I'm going to use less cornflakes since this batch was a little crumbly. I promise to share the recipe when I perfect it. But for now, just know that these are awesome if you're into chewy stuff that tastes like a vat of sugary peanut butter.

18 comments:

Cyn said...

Whoa, those look freaky but delicious. I love sort of soggy food, so I bet those are awesome.

Lisa said...

these sound like a great recipe for your cookbook, so unique! I don't recall having these growing up in SC. Looking forward to the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, love it!!! My mom used to make the same kind of cookies but she used potato chips and regular butter instead of peanut.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I love chewy stuff that tastes like a vat of sugary peanut butter so these sound amazing to me!!

Macie said...

Yummy! I love cornflakes and peanut butter, but have never had them together. Looks delicious though.

Anonymous said...

"just know that these are awesome if you're into chewy stuff that tastes like a vat of sugary peanut butter."

It's like you see right into my SOUL.

aTxVegn said...

These are one of my favorites too. For some reason I think it's superfun to bake with cereal, and of course I'm a pb freak so yeh, these are awesome!

Veganissexy said...

Oh I used to love those cookies too! I especially used to love the crunchy chow mein noodle butterscotch no bake ones. OMG sooo good :) Veganize those puppies and I'd be your biggest fan :)

A_and_N said...

I could literally make a vat and N would be glad to take a swim in it! she is a HUGE fan of sugary PB :)

A said...

OK...... I need one RIGHT NOW!!! That looks so good!

Gina said...

Ooooh, looks deliicious!!

jessy said...

sweet, sweet awesomeness, Bianca! your chewy peanut butter cornflake balls sound amazing! i believe you had me with the photo and “tastes like a vat of sugar peanut butter”! mmmmmmm! i cannot wait to test these out – and i’m superexcitedfaced ‘cause i totally have a half eaten box of trader joe’s cornflakes at home that i need to use up! huzzah!

Theresa said...

Ooh, that no-bake corn flake cookie recipe was the first thing we learned to 'cook' in 7th grade home ec class and they still hold a special place in my heart. Can't wait for your slightly-healthier version!

Anonymous said...

I know that some sort of bar or cookie (don't remember) with peanut butter and cornflakes was popular at pot-lucks and such when I was a kid. I think there was also one that used chow mein noodles? Fun.

Mary said...

Those look fantastic. I ate lots of those at middle school band bake sales... I'm with you on the corn syrup. Maple syrup tastes better anyway!

Love your blog, I'm adding it to my list.

nora said...

whoa whoa whoaaaa. good idea! i think i'd make them with flax plus, the king of cereals! :)

Anonymous said...

good afternoon friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging for that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the shoes are all over 240 dollars everwhere. But finally I found this locate selling them for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I was searching for that singular brand. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were all over 210 bucks on every page. But finally I base this site selling them for half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what do you think?