Sunday, May 10, 2009

Prodigious Vegan Sushi-palooza Madness Extravaganza

Yep, that's what we named the sushi party at my house on Friday night. A few of my vegan friends and I got together to roll veggie-filled sushi and, um, deep fry everything in sight (more on that in a second).

For starters, Stephanie of Poopie Bitch made some bad ass Red Thai Coconut Bubble Tea:

She cooked the tapioca herself and served it with red Thai tea and cream of coconut. Then we munched on Steph's Inari while we worked on rolling. I love sushi and all, but inari (tofu skin stuffed with sushi rice) is my very favorite thing:

Here I am workin' on my sushi master skills. I'm not the world's best roller, but I try:

We made Spicy Tempeh Rolls from the PPK and some super-delicious Baked Tofu Rolls. I think we also made a few plain ole' veggie rolls, but honestly, we made a crap ton so who knows what all went in. Here's one finished plate (we filled lots of plates!):

Nic threw together a veggie-loaded salad with romaine, avocado, hicama, tomatoes, carrots, radishes, cucumber, and walnuts:

However, our greatest discovery of the night was my deep fryer. Stephanie got the bright idea that we should try our hand at deep-frying. First, we battered some tofu in panko and lowered it into the hot oil. Deeelicious:

Then Stephanie tried coating some veggies in tempura batter. I don't have pictures, but the battered cauliflower and zucchini were amazing. Of we HAD to try deep-frying some sushi! A few of the sushi joints in Memphis serve deep-fried rolls, but they always contain meat. So Steph battered a few rolls in tempura and here's the result:

Wow! This was so tasty. It's definitely true that everything tastes better fried. After this success, Stephanie said, "Hey guys, I wonder what deep-fried avocado tastes like?" Um, despite our reservations, she battered a few small chunks in tempura and did it anyway. And though I don't have pictures, I have to admit it was pretty tasty. Almost like a fried egg, but not.

After all our experimenting in the kitchen, everyone was ready to dig in. But they took some time out to throw a few gang signs before making their plates:

Left to right: Nic, Weezy, Stephanie, and Greg (my friend Hart and Steph's husband Richard were also there, but somehow didn't make it into the picture).

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! haha

The title, the food, the friends...what a fabulous time! =)

Hmm, I'm a little confused though. Is this Bianca's blog or Paula Deen's?! Deep Fried Butter!

Gina said...

My absolute favorite mexican restaurant in Hawaii served fried avocado, and I found it to be absolute LOVE.

I have this strong desire to make sushi, but every time I get close to doing it, I wimp out or something goes wrong. *Sigh* clearly I need a bunch of vegan friends to have a vegan sushi party with.

jessy said...

hooray for your vegan sushi-palooza madness extravaganza, Bianca! you guys are too awesome, and everything looks freak'n amazing! mmmmmmmm! deep fried tofu, a salad full of deliciousnesses (why have i never thought to add walnuts to salad before?!?), veggies rolls (i think your rolls look super stellar, Bianca - and your apron = the cutest!), DEEP FRIED sushi rolls, bubble tea, and awesome battered cauliflower and zucchini! i wish i was there!

Jenn said...

Awesome sushi party. Fried sushi sounds divine!

Mike K said...

This looks like my kind of party :) - what a great time! The name is wonderful. All that sushi, and deep-fried tofu...wow! I need to try those stuffed tofu skins too.

Janet said...

Yeahhh vegan sushi ROCKS!!! Although I have never had the notion to deep fry the rolls or the avocado, it still sounds (and looks) freakin' delicious!

Andrea said...

if i go to memphis some day, can i go to one of your vegan food parties ? hah : (
everything looks so good -__- !

Anonymous said...

Oh my dog! What a fun time - I am so jealous of your vegan posse! I used to get fried avocado in Mexico - it is soooooo decadant and good! Inari is now going to be my craving of the week!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

that sushi looks great, my rolling is rubbish!!

I also love the notion that a sushi roll needs to be deep fried! haha love it.

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome and wicked fun too! I love Inari as well, I could live of of that stuff. The deep fried ideas are great too.You are so cool and I love your apron and rubber bracelets. You are so rockin' the 80's look spectacularly! Great post.

Leslie Richman said...

Fun fun fun! I would love to try some fried vegan sushi!

A_and_N said...

Oh c'mon dont be sooo modest. The sushi looks amazing! And the last pic is pretty cool :)

Anonymous said...

This sushi party looks great! You should post your sushi roll ideas on http://www.rawpeople.com/?utm_source=A&utm_medium=B&utm_campaign=C so that other vegans can enjoy! I love your rolls!

Chantal said...

How do you make inari?

Great post! I wish I had that many vegan friends... Actually, all my friends are omni.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

How fun! I love your apron. Inari, yum yum yum!

Theresa said...

Funnnn... and I am glad that I don't have a deep fryer because I would be seriously tempted to deep fry EVERYTHING. Your tempura sushi, and all the rest, looks delish!

Lisa said...

It sounds like you guys had a blast! And the food sounds delicious too. Yum....fried food...

pinkhairedcyn said...

Oh my god, that all looks ridiculously delicious!!! Inari are my favorite too, and I'm so impressed by the homemade boba tea. Plus deep fried everything! So awesome!

aTxVegn said...

Oh, you do like me and once I pull out the deep fryer, everything gets fried! We have a place that serves fried avocado wraps here and everyone goes crazy for them. Well, everyone who isn't vegan.

All the sushi and the salad looks really delicious.

MeloMeals said...

What fun!

Gena said...

That sushi looks totally awesome!!

Macie said...

Aw, fun! I wish I lived close by, I'd so be in on that! We have to twist arms to get our friends to eat soosh.

Inari is my OMGfavoriteEVER!

A said...

That looks like such a fun night!!! That's for sharing! I'm going to have to start frying more stuff!

miss v said...

again, jealous of all the vegan friends. such a lucky girl, you are.

and fried sushi! would have never thought of it, but damn! it looks good!

East Village Vegan said...

Looks like a great time. Deep fried sushi rolls. Who would of thought they would be so tasty.

jb said...

What a feast! Everything looks so delicious. I, too am a great fan of inari, yum!

Sophia said...

I've only had Veggie sushi one before, and I really hated. I should give it another go, especially deep-fryed.
Inari sounds interesting, I should dig my deep-fyer out of the pantry. Its just so damn expensive to fill it up! Your so lucky to have Vegan friends, the only vegan I know in person is my boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com][img]http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/ganardinero.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]La mejor web sobre ganar dinero[/b]
Hemos hallado la mejor guia en internet de como ganar dinero internet. Como nos ha sido de utilidad a nosotros, tambien les puede ser de utilidad a ustedes. No son solo metodos de ganar dinero con su pagina web, hay todo tipo de formas para ganar dinero en internet...
[b][url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com][img]http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/dinero.jpg[/img][/url]Te recomendamos entrar a [url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/]Ganar-dinero-ya.com[/url][url=http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com][img]http://www.ganar-dinero-ya.com/dinero.jpg[/img][/url][/b]