Thursday, May 14, 2009

Swell Quinoa

When I received my cute little copy of Swell, a vegan cookzine by Swell Vegan, a couple weeks ago, I knew after one glance-through what I'd make first — Coconut Red Bean Quinoa:

Oh yea, this is where it's at. All the couscous-like, protein-filled awesomeness of quinoa combined with luscious coconut milk, kidney beans, and fresh cilantro from my herb garden. It was a magical combination, and I give Swell Vegan five gold stars for this one. If ya'll don't have this zine yet, rush over there and order a copy. It's also filled with 14 other recipes that I can't wait to get around to — like Lemon Zucchini Bread!

Plus, it's super cute! The zine is quarter-page size with a gold emprint designed by Swell Vegan herself. I stole this picture from her website, but hopefully she won't mind.

Though I could have easily doubled the portion on my plate and made this quinoa a one-dish meal, I stuck to the recommended serving size and threw in a few veggie sides for good measure — Sauteed Garlicky Kale and Steamed Sweet Potatoes:

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to order that book! Thanks for the delicious reminder =)

Gina said...

Looks like an awesome meal!

Latayy said...

oh my goodness what a yummy looking dish . Will make something like this today for post training. Could you believe I never liked quinoa when I first went vegan. I cannot get enough of it now.

Macie said...

Mmm... looking good! And what a cute zine. I'm a sucker for all things cute (which is why I have four furkids).

Mihl said...

What a great combination of ingredients! And you are right, the zine looks cute.

celine said...

I have to catch up with all the awesome books/zines that just came out, and make my cookbook shelf happy all over again.

Anonymous said...

I love that little zine!!!! The recipes all have me tempted and if making them all at once was a possibility, I would totally make the attempt!!!

Your photos are gorgeous Bianca! What a yummy meal.

tavolini said...

Now that's a nice southern plate :)

I still never quite know what to do with quinoa--good suggestion!

A said...

I absolutely LOVE quinoa..... and what a cool idea to make it with coconut! I bet it was fab!
-A

Sheridan said...

That looks like a meal made in heaven. Seriously, I want it all!!!

A_and_N said...

Coconut and quinoa? That's new to me! Its a very good looking dish!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

That Quinoa looks so good.. or um... swell!

jessy said...

man, i just saw the lentil bolognese on lisa’s blog and now i’m seeing more of swell vegan’s yumminess on yours, Bianca – i love it ALL! oooooooh, her coconut red bean quinoa sounds heavenly, and i love your choice of sides! superw00t! hope you have a rock’n weekend, Bianca!

Alison said...

sadly, I'm still waiting on mine, I can't wait to get it, though! That looks yummy!

Cyn said...

That looks so delicious! I love me some red beans.

About the scones on my blog - I just used the VwaV generic scone recipe, with the berry variation. (Basically, I just cut up berries and mixed them in the dough at the end.)

Lisa said...

that's the first recipe I made too! It really was delicious.

miss v said...

i thought those were tomatoes in your quinoa at first.... but they are kidney beans - crazy combo! i'll have to get a copy!

Unknown said...

ooh, coconut red bean quinoa! that sounds so delicious! :) i need to give that zine a try!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yum! I just got Swell in the mail last week and can't wait to try something from it! I will have to add that quinoa dish to the list because it looks slammin'

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

That sounds awesome!