Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Move Over, Dinty Moore

My omni boyfriend loves that Dinty Moore beef stew in a can, and I seem to remember eating it a time or two when I was a kid. Even though it's got icky beef and loads of fat in it, it always looks kinda good in my boyfriend's soup bowl. I think it's just the creaminess of a stew that I crave, so decided to create a similar vegan version for my cookbook. Enter Seitan Beef Stew:

This photo was taken right after I made it, so it's still a little soupy. I found out today that it thickens considerably in the fridge. I used the ingredient list from a can of Dinty Moore to try and loosely replicate their version, only vegan-style. Plus, I added some dried herbs and local farmer's market kale for a more sophisticated taste (and some healthy greens!).

I know you're not supposed to eat stews in the spring and summer, but I'm not a fan of rules. Stew tastes good all year round, and this was deliciously comforting served with a warm slice of homemade whole wheat sourdough bread.

15 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

Who cares what you are 'supposed' to do - that stew looks amazing!! I can't say that in my pre veg days I ever had the chance to enjoy the delicacy of Dinty Moore, but your stew looks like it could fill the hole in my heart for Irish stew. Looks great - as always!

miss v said...

i've never had dinty moore either, but that stew looks super rich, creamy and de-lish.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

i agree, stews are great all year round. nevr heard of dinty moore but your stew looks ace.

Anonymous said...

Stews DO taste good all year round!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I am almost ashamed to admit that I ate a lot of Dinty Moore in my teenage years. *sigh*

Your stew looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Stew is a filling treat anytime of year! It makes me want some right now. Looks great!

Leslie Richman said...

Hahah! Some ex of mine used to love Dinty Moore. Ohhh that terrible stuff! I'm glad you made a better version :)

Gina said...

Oooh, looks awesome!! I don't think I ever had a Dinty Moore stew, but I'm sure yours is better!

Tara said...

My husband eats that Diny Moore stuff, and I've been trying to convince him not to! Your stew looks much better!

A said...

You are so awesome!!!! It looks fabulous! Screw the "rules!" Soup is great any time! :)
-A

Cyn said...

That looks freaking amazing! I vote you make that a tester. Stew is always delicious.

Mary said...

That sounds perfect--it was 40 degrees here today. Spring, schming! Bring on the stew!

Vic Robinson said...

Who cares about the rules, that soup looks great. There is nothing better then a good soup....other then maybe a good pastry. :)

Sophia said...

I've never heard of Dinty Moore before, but your stew looks very tasty! Good old-fashioned comfort food!

Sheridan said...

WOW!!! This looks sooooooo good Bianca!! Yummmmmmmmm!