Monday, March 11, 2019

Cheeseburger Pizza, Tofu Chicken, & Kool-Aid Pickles!

The cafe at Crosstown Arts (where I work) has two menus – an ALWAYS menu and a TODAY menu. The ALWAYS menu stays the same for several months at a time, only changing with the seasons. But the TODAY menu changes, well, everyday. And Fridays are flatbread days! Flatbread Fridays! A couple weeks back, the featured flatbread was this Cheeseburger Flatbread with Impossible burger crumbles, cheese (I opted for non-dairy cheese), fried onions, vegan aioli, and pickled shishitos. It was SO GOOD.


Here's another amazing plate from Crosstown Arts. The TODAY menu also features a daily vegetable plate, which stays the same for a week at a time. Last week, it featured Grilled Eggplant, Roasted Brussels, Sizzled Kale, and Carrot Puree. I loved all the different textures from the various cooking methods, and that kale was OFF THE CHAIN Y'ALL. It was fried and very crispy, like a perfect kale chip. Best veggie plate I've ever had.


Down the stairs from my Crosstown Arts office inside Crosstown Concourse, there's a new popcorn shop — Pop-a-Roo's — that just opened. Not only do they have popcorn, but they also carry KOOL-AID PICKLES! This is a Southern thing, but I'd somehow never tried it. Probably because I'd never actually seen a real-life Kool-Aid pickle. I'll try anything though, so I bought some as soon as I heard they had them. And you know what? They're freaking good. They sell grape and red (guess it's cherry?), and the grape is definitely the better flavor. I know this is a combo that shouldn't work, but it does. It tastes like a sweet and sour grape pickle.


Here's a less-weird meal that I made at home last night — No-Chicken Tofu Bites with Agave Mustard, Oven Roasted Fries with Curry Ketchup Aioli, and Roasted Asparagus. 


The no-chicken tofu bites are actually a recipe for the air fryer from my dad. They're really good! You bread the tofu in a batter that's seasoned with vegan chicken broth and then coat with panko. This entire meal was basically oil-free, aside from a few spritzes of cooking spray. I feel best when I'm eating oil-free!

4 comments:

Susan said...

That pizza needs to get in my mouth right now!
I really can't comprehend what a Koolaid pickle would taste like, but I would definitely try one.\

Hillary said...

I agree with Susan, I need that pizza!!
I've heard of Kool Aid pickles but I've never tried them. I definitely would go for the grape too!!

Sarah said...

OMG all of this food looks so incredible! The flatbread sounds amazing (the fried onions really set it over the edge for me, yum!) and your home cooked meal looks really perfect too! Your dad's recipe sound awesome! The grilled eggplant dish looks great too. How amazing to work in a place with such delicious options.

Unknown said...

I am verrrryyy into the “pizza on fridays” thing, and that flatbread/pizza is so creative! What a great veggie plate combo, i like how they used different preparations and textures-fried crispy kale is so amazing.
Gotta say kool aid pickles sound kinda terrifying....!! I would taste one because i have undying love for sour and dill pickles but I don’t like sweet pickles so dunno. Your dad’s tofu talents are off the charts!
Ttrockwood