Thursday, February 14, 2019

Valentine's Day for Me!

My partner Paul spends his weeks in Nashville, where he works, so when Valentine's Day falls on a week day, I'm on my own. And I am totally fine with that. We're celebrating together this weekend, so we'll still have our V-Day fun. But I spent today in self-care mode.

This morning, I woke up and headed out for a 3-mile run on a lovely 50-degree morning (that's cold to me typically, but it's great running weather). Then I had this Strawberry Dark Chocolate Chip Smoothie. It has banana, strawberries, and walnuts. And then I threw in a few squares of bourbon-aged dark chocolate (that my dad got me for Valentine's Day) and pulsed in the Vitamix until it formed little chips.


I usually eat at work, but since I'm taking a self-care day, I decided to walk home (I live VERY close to work) and take the full lunch hour. I had a Giant Salad with Heart-Shaped Beets! I cut my pre-cooked Love Beets into little hearts. The salad also has carrot, red cabbage, cucumber, bell pepper, craisins, almonds, pumpkin, and sesame seeds, plus a low-oil balsamic-dijon dressing that I threw together.


Our plant-based cafe at work (I work at Crosstown Arts) had Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes today! A perfect afternoon treat with a cup of Earl Grey tea while I wrapped up a few tasks at work. This was a very large cupcake, and I ate the whole thing.


After work, I stopped by Hollywood Feed for Valentine's for the pets! I got the cats some special canned food by B.F.F. that was called Valentines Dinner in Gravy! WHAT?! They loved it. Maynard got a Carob Cake with Carob Frosting. 


For dinner, I made myself a nice pasta meal using a recipe I found in the No Meat Athlete Valentine's-themed member newsletter — Easy Avocado Pesto Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes with a side of Garlic Bread. Plus, a nice glass of homemade wine made by my dad.


The pasta (I used Explore Cuisine mung bean & edamame fettucine) is coated in an avocado-walnut-basil pesto and tossed with sundried tomatoes. Very good! And oil-free!


What a perfect day of meals – a lot of healthy stuff and a super-amazing cupcake treat. After dinner, I had a little self-care night at home with yoga for the heart chakra, a bath with a giant unicorn bath bomb (a gift from my mom) that I've been saving for a special occasion, a facial steam and mask, and some reading time with NPR host Peter Sagal's new book, The Incomplete Guide to Running. 

Hope y'all had great Valentine's Day too! I'll check back in after my date night with Paul.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

I absolutely love self care days! I love your salad with the heart beets!
And I always love seeing Maynard!!!

Sarah said...

What a perfect self care day and a great way to spend Valentine's Day. All of your meals look seriously delicious (even Maynard's treat looks tempting!) and that smoothie sounds especially delicious!! I seriously love how festive you are for every holiday and occasion!

Susan said...

What a beautiful day of food!
I love the idea of pulsing chocolate into a smoothie.