Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Bread Bowls, Bean Bowls, and So Many Bowls of Oats

Today's random meal round-up is brought to you by bowls — those amazing vessels that can instantly turn any meal into comfort food!

Bowls made from dinnerware material are great and all, but you know what's better? Bowls you can eat. Like this Bread Bowl with Potato Corn Chowder from Imagine Vegan Cafe. 


Our friend Don (of Lulu's Baked) created some bread bowls for Imagine to use for last week's soup special. Imagine owner Kristie texted me that morning to let me know I should not miss the bread bowl special, so I made sure to dine there after yoga class. The bread was amazing. The soup was delicious on a cold, rainy night. Yes, I ate the whole thing.

Don't let anyone tell you that carbs are bad for you. Carbs are fuel. Sure, white bread isn't the most nutritious bread, but it's okay sometimes.

As I've mentioned here before, my favorite go-to meal when I'm in a hurry and have nothing prepared is a Bean/Grain/Green Bowl like this one — white beans, brown rice, steamed kale and broccoli, kraut, garlic tahini sauce.


I've been switching a few of my weekday breakfast smoothies out for oatmeal bowls lately. Like this one with almond butter, blueberry, banana, and flax.


And this one with strawberry, banana, blueberry, walnuts, and flax.


I've learned that Overnight Oats work best on mornings when I have gym classes and get home later than I do when I run. It's hard to eat a bowl of hot oats quickly, but you can scarf down cold oats. I've been making mine the night before with chia seed, maple, and almond milk. And then I top with fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds in the morning. Hey look, it's a jar! Not a bowl!


Here's something else not in a bowl — a pre-race (before the Crosstown 10K) slice of Sprouted Grain Toast with Peanut Butter, Blueberries, and Banana.


6 comments:

Susan said...

I have never had a bread bowl before, and I really feel like I am missing out on something special.

Ali said...

I think overnight oats have been around for years now, but I just finally tried them last week. Quite tasty and convenient to throw in a jar and eat when I get a moment between jobsites! I have been mixing my oats with hemp seeds because hemp seeds keep me satisfied like nothing else.

Hillary said...

Oh man, that bread bowl with chowder sounds so freaking good!! And you are so right about carbs. It's sad they get such a bad rap!
I really wish I liked oats more because overnight oats are so quick and easy to make.
I love blueberries on peanut butter toast too! I love the little pop!

Sarah said...

What delicious bowls! The soup and bread bowl combo sounds freaking amazing. Your oats look amazing! I definitely see oats on the menu for breakfast tomorrow :)

Unknown said...

Man that chowder and bread bowl sounds so good right now! Where i grew up in CA sourdough bread bowls are common for clam chowder (um, no thanks) but if that’s on the menu with a veg soup i’ll ask for a bread bowl.
I feel sorry for the people who are anti-carbs, that would take a lot of joy out of my life. And i need the joy!
Ttrockwood

Jennifer said...

No hate on white bread! Especially since they are usually fortified with vitamins! I hate when people throw shade on white wheat, like it is actively poisoning our children. White wheat can make a great sometimes treat!