Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!

Okay, so I'm posting at midnight, so St. Patrick's Day is technically over. But I haven't gone to bed yet, so as far as I'm concerned, it's still March 17th. See, even my puppy Datsun is sporting a green bandana:

My friend/co-worker Shara, her pal Chris, and I went out for drinks at a sushi bar tonight (yea, yea, not very Irish, but whatever). But I dined on this traditional meal beforehand – Corned "Beef" and Cabbage with Baked "Chips":

The cabbage recipe came from Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen, but I used a chopped-up veggie burger in place of vegan beef. It's what I had on hand and it worked quite well. This stuff is lightly covered in a red wine-based gravy that is delish!

On the side, I made homemade baked French fries (or "chips" as the Irish like to call them). I doused them in vinegar, a trick I learned from a local Irish pub owner. Then I dipped them in ketchup (not pictured). So, so good. And perfect munchie food for my mandatory American Idol viewing.

On that note, who's watching American Idol this season? We have TWO Memphis girls — Alexis Grace and Lil' Rounds — in the Top 11! And Adam Lambert (the cute Pete Wentz-looking guy) is pretty stellar too.

12 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Aww, love Datsun :-D


Happy belated St. Patrick's Day!!

jessy said...

Datsun is too adorable with his bandana! awwwwww! and what a nice plate of irish yummies - i'm drooling over the "chips". i'm not big on American Idol, but i hope your Memphis girls make it far! wahooooo!

A_and_N said...

Drinking at a sushi bar may not be truly Irish but as long as there is alcohol....well, you get my drift ;)

And thats a nice dog!

MeloMeals said...

Datsun is such a cutie pie! Dogs are the best!

I can't believe I didn't do anything for St. Patricks day..

Unknown said...

The one night I get to actually watch Idol....it's country music night. It went away quickly. Can I borrow Datsun? Maybe he and my dog can get rid of the 4 legged rodent that's in my apartment.

Food looks awesome, but then again you're a better cook than I am

Jen said...

i'm not a huge fan of irish food, and i'm not really sure what irish food even is. meat and taters, right? i do like me some potatoes no matter what form they take, so i guess i shouldn't write off irish fare completely.

i think i've said this before, but i SO LOVE that you named your dog datsun. love it.

Anonymous said...

How do you make your chips so perfectly shaped (long, skinny shoestring-like)? They loos delicious!

Laura said...

hey that looks like what i made! :)

Tara said...

Datsun is so cute with his bandana! The cabbage recipe looks good, and I like how you used a chopped-up veggie burger.

Anonymous said...

The guy from Arizona, McIntyre, he sang at the Christmas Eve service I went to this past December. He sang O Holy night and it was fantastic!
As always, your food is making me hungry :)

Sheridan said...

I actually watched American Idol last night even though I don't usually. I enjoyed Adam's rendition of Ring of Fire. Ha! Very different. I freakin' love vinegar and now wish I had some "chips" and vinegar, cuz that sounds pretty amazing.

Anonymous said...

Datsun is so cute! Your cabbage and "corned beef" looks delicious - I had the misfortune of being surrounded by people eating the real thing last weekend, it did not look nearly as good as your plate of food does.