Monday, March 2, 2009

The Breakfast Sammich

Back in my lacto-ovo days, I LOVED stopping through the McDonald's drive-thru for an egg and cheese biscuit or Egg McMuffin (sans the meat, of course). Granted, I didn't eat that way often for fear of the pudge, but Micky D's breakfast was a special treat. This is a far cry from McDonald's since it's vegan and much healthier, but here's my current version of the Tofu Fried Egg and Cheeze Sammich:

My pal Stephanie (of Poopie Bitch) made vegan egg mcmuffins for my moving day back in October, and I got a craving for those. But I didn't have any whole wheat English muffins or faux sausage.

So I used this recipe from VegWeb to cook up some egg-style tofu. Basically, I just pressed and sliced tofu, and then baked it in a dish with 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt. Then I topped it with Follow Your Heart cheddar style cheeze. It's served up on Ezekial bread with a dab of Miso Mayo. Perfect start to my day!

Note to My Testers: I'm going to leave the Seitan and Dumplins post up on the tester site for an extra week. In fact, I'm thinking about adding new recipes every two weeks to give people more time to try things out. Let me know what ya'll think ...

17 comments:

Mike K said...

A vegan take on the egg mcmuffin - impressive! I like how well tofu performs in egg-inspired dishes, like scrambles and frittata, so I bet this is great.

Anonymous said...

The one thing I miss is the egg yolk- still haven't found anything that comes close. Love your "anti" McMuffin idea!

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! Oh man... now you've got me craving one of those, too!

I'm making the Seitan and Dumplins on Wednesday - I can't wait!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I have often thought that baked tofu has the same flavor and consistency of a fried egg....only not so gross. I make these kinds of things a lot, so quick and tasty.

miss v said...

that looks like what i need this morning for sure. as for your testers... i'm a horrible tester. i just never seem to have everything i need. i do want to try and get some done - i hope you are getting great reviews!

jessy said...

what a damn tasty start to your morning! mmmmmmm! this looks so awesome!

sorry i've been a bit slack in testing the recipes lately. we've been on a budget and it's been crazy busy around here! more time to test things out is a-okay with me! thanks, Bianca!

Tami said...

If you ever need another tester, please let me know. I've been seeing your food everywhere and it all looks so good.

Thanks a lot for all the recipes on your awesome blog.

Jen said...

hmmmm. how about that sandwiched between two waffles? nudge-nudge, wink-wink. leave it to me to make food more obnoxious. ;)

btw, i like the idea for the test recipes to be up for two weeks.

and also: yay for tamale pie! and triple yay for sink drinkin' kittehs!

Anonymous said...

Very delicious and so clever!

I'm having a tofu sandwich right now and it tastes kinda egg-y! All I did was bake it for 40 min @ 415* plain!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

looks awesome - i used to love egg mcmuffins too!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good - I love me some breakfast sammitches. I totally need to make some this weekend.

Leaving stuff up for two weeks is fine with me - although I finally got more caught up with testing after making two things last week :). I'm making the seitan and dumplings this Wednesday and I'm totally excited.

PB and Jess said...

Mmm...I miss McMuffins too, but your version looks so much better (and healthier!!) :)

MeloMeals said...

That looks so good. I really need some FYH cheese..

Gina said...

It looks so perfectly like an egg McMuffins, I love it!

I was shamefully a big fan of those McGriddles...I don't think I have had one in over 4 years though...and obviously I won't be having them again!

Theresa said...

Yum, your sandwich looks great. I love putting hash browns on my breakfast sammies, but it's too much to bother cooking in the morning... but if the oven is on for the tofu anyways...

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Egg style tofu is so yummy! I'll have to try this soon. So simple!

Alison said...

that sandwich looks so good. I miss McDonald's breakfast sandwiches, or any breakfast sandwich for that matter.

I will be making the seitan and dumplins either Tuesday or Wednesday!

Every two weeks sounds good. I've been such a bad tester lately!