Monday, December 11, 2023

Cookies and Cheese and Latkes! Oh My!

Here's a little holiday-themed round-up. A couple weeks ago, The Daily Memphian office (the newspaper where I work) hosted an staff cookie baking competition, and I entered these Peanut Butter Crisscross Cookies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. My coworkers know I'm vegan, but the baked goods were entered into the contest somewhat anonymously. So I didn't add "vegan" to the label. And guess what?! I won!! Everyone on staff who was in the office that day got a vote, and I somehow got the most. And that feels like a win for veganism!

Julie Piatt's vegan cheese company, SriMu, is now open in Memphis! I'm not 100% sure if the wine and cheese cafe is serving yet, but you can definitely go in and buy the wheels of cheese. I stopped in recently and got the Everything, Fire, and Imagine.

And I used some of that cheese to make a holiday Girl Dinner Snack Plate to munch on while I put up the holiday tree. I love dinners like this when I'm putting up the tree. It's a tradition I stole from my friend Sheridan.


And speaking of holidays, it's Hanukkah! And I'm not Jewish, but I love latkes, so I always make them every year. This time, I used a recipe that we ran in The Daily Memphian. I subbed out The Vegg baking mix for the eggs and used flour in place of matzo meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning your office cookie contest! Those cookies sure do look delicious and yes a definite win for veganism! - Sri