Thursday, June 8, 2023

Vegan Two-Week Test: Burrito Bowl, Fried "Rice," and Nori Jerky

Only 3 more days of super low carbs on Phil Maffetone's Two-Week Test, y'all. I've never been so ready for a food reset to end. But I digress. Here are a few things I've been eating on the vegan version of Maffetone's carb intolerance test that I'm doing as part of the Born to Run 2 program.

Cauliflower rice has been my jam lately. It's by far nothing like real rice, but it'll do for a few days. This Cauliflower Fried "Rice" was actually really good. It had mushrooms, carrots, and onions, with some Bragg's and sesame oil. I bought a few bags of cauli rice and broccoli rice to get me through these two weeks.

Another recent hit was this Burrito Bowl with broccoli rice, sauteed cauliflower, peppers, and chard with taco seasoning, salsa, avocado, and walnut taco meat that I made with some avocado oil and taco spices.

Last night, I baked a giant spaghetti squash to eat for a few days. I went traditional spaghetti style with a sugar-free marinara from a jar, cashew mozz, and cashew parm. I made some Swiss chard (from my neighbor's garden) on the side. This was a nice, filling meal. I've found winter squashes to be pretty satisfying on this thing.

I stopped by Raw Girls to grab a salad for Monday's office lunch. The Taco Salad there is just mixed greens, walnut taco meat, guac, and pico, so it was Two-Week Test-safe and delicious. I was still pretty hungry after this though. 

And finally, this was a fun snack. I grabbed this Gopal's Power Wrap vegan jalapeno and cheese nori-wrapped jerky from a health food store in Jonesboro while visiting my Me-maw a couple weeks back. It has a sunflower seed base and fits all the Two-Week test criteria. I wish I'd bought more!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed with what you are making on your low carb two week plan. Not sure I could do it, but you really are making the best of it. Good luck these last days..... - Sri.

Jenny said...

Well, I'm VERY interested to hear how this all works out. I really want to hear about your reactions when you start adding carbs back in. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Phil Maffetone diet- I know it works for a lot of people, but severely limiting carbs isn't appealing to me. BUT, I think a reset like this can be great, because a lot of carb-heavy foods are addictive and unhealthy. Oh, I'm also interested to hear how you like the Altras! I was running in Hokas, now New Balance, and I would love to switch to zero drop. But I still have plantar fasciitis and I think zero drop would aggravate it... sigh.

Jan said...

Looking forward to your overall experience and verdict. Want to start the test/program tomorrow and was looking for vegan recipes and found plenty on your blog.