Thursday, June 29, 2023

Product Review: Jovial Foods Vegan Mac

I was sent a couple boxes of Jovial Foods Gluten-free Vegan Mac to review, and though I'm not gluten-free, I sometimes prefer the texture of gluten-free pasta over whole wheat pasta. Now, white pasta absolutely wins the prize for best texture in my book, but I try to limit my refined carbs so that I only have them around workouts (or special occasions).

So gluten-free pasta is a great go-to for a healthy everyday meal. This box has brown rice pasta, which is probably the most superior of the gf-pastas, texture-wise. This particular one only has one ingredient — organic brown rice flour. That's it! As for the cheese sauce, it's made with pea protein, rice syrup solids, palm oil powder, corn starch. Not the most wholesome ingredient list, but at least every ingredient is organic. 

One of my favorite ways to eat boxed mac is Mac & Trees & Peas. 


You cook the pasta according to package directions, but throw some frozen broccoli and a drained can of chickpeas into the boiling pasta water when there's about three minutes left on the timer. The frozen broccoli will slow down the boil, so I just wait until the water starts to boil again and test the broccoli and pasta for done-ness. If it needs more time, I'll add a minute or so.

This Jovial Foods vegan mac made a fantastic and quick weeknight dinner. The cheese sauce was super-creamy, thanks to the addition of soymilk and vegan butter. I would absolutely buy this!

No comments: