Monday, May 22, 2023

"Fish" Sticks, "Chicken" Fries, and Fake Risotto

A few weeks back, I noticed Sprouts had a LOT of plant meat on close-out sales. And while I hate to see that because it makes me worry for the future of the plant meat industry, I also really like a sweet deal. I got a box of Good Catch Vegan Fish Sticks for a couple bucks. These were really good! I was never a big fish fan, but I always did like fish sticks in my pre-vegan days. I think it was processed enough to not be as gross to me. Ha! 

Speaking of finger foods a toddler would love, I also picked up some Morningstar Farms Pringles-flavored Vegan Chicken Fries. Now, this is just a weird concept, but I love it! Why Pringles flavor? I don't know. But they're good. Do they taste like Pringles? Not really. But if you think really hard about Pringles while you're eating them, it comes through a bit.

Imagine Vegan Cafe has a few new menu items, and I'm slowly working my way through them all. The new Popcorn Chicken Po'boy is so good! It has a Thousand Island-style sauce, and the vegan chicken is super crisp. Messy but worth it.

And finally, here's some faker risotto! The No Meat Athlete Cookbook has a recipe for Baked Sunflower Brown Rice Risotto that has the creaminess of risotto without all the stirring. You just bake the rice in the oven with a lot of liquid, sunflower seeds, and spices (including saffron, which gives it that awesome color). A nice healthy dinner. 

3 comments:

Susan said...

The pringles flavoured chicken fries is confusing... because there are so many flavours of pringles. Is it meant to be original flavour? Because they don't taste like much. Do they use pringles for the breading? Who thought of this? So many questions.

Anonymous said...

So I was never a 'fish' person in my meat eating days. BUT - I heard good things about the plant based fish fillets at Trader Joes. Oh my goodness they are tasty! Highly recommend. Not as cheap as what you got at Sprouts - but a decent price and delicious! - Sri

Sarah said...

I live near Sprouts now and I love that store so much! I found the Meati brand chick'n and got some to try but I haven't tried them yet. That po'boy, yum!