Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Bitter Melon, Moshdown Meal, and Tofu Tacos

Since January, I've been trying to incorporate more Blue Zones meals into my life. The Blue Zones are the five regions with the world's longest-lived people, and I'm trying to make it to 100, y'all! In the Okinawan Blue Zone, they eat a lot of bitter melon. And that's one veggie I'd always been scared to try. The name just sounds, well, bitter.

But I picked some up from the Vietnamese market by my house and looked up the recipe for Goya Champuru in the Blue Zones Cookbook. I used two bitter melons and made sure to scrape out the seeds before slicing. And then I sauteed them with tofu, soy sauce, and some other spices. And let me tell ya, this stuff is called "bitter" for a reason. Wow. I'm not sure I liked it. I ate it all because I knew it was good for me, and the heavy soy saucing helped. But I doubt I'll ever eat bitter melon again.

A few weeks back, I made the Ayurvedic Moshdown Meal with homemade chapati from The Plant-Based Athlete. This was a veg-heavy curry with chickpeas over turmeric-cashew basmati, and it was perfect! My chapati didn't turn out quite like it was supposed to though. Still tasty as a flatbread, but it didn't puff up.

And here are some quick week day Tofu Scramble Tacos. These were excellent!

No comments: