Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I Tried Banana Peel Bacon!

My dad is quite the cook, and he loves sending me recipes — often strange vegan recipes that he finds online! This weekend, he texted me a link to a recipe for Banana Peel Bacon on It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken. IDTLC is one of the best vegan recipe blogs out there, so I knew this was worth trying, as weird as it sounds. And I just happened to have some very ripe bananas on my counter!

You can find the recipe here. But basically, you shave the banana bits off the peels and marinate it in a bacon-y marinade. Then you fry it in a skillet like bacon!


You need to let it fry until it's super-crispy. One of my strips didn't get as crisp, and it tasted much more like banana than bacon. But if you almost burn it, it works and loses some of that banana flavor! It's not the best vegetable (or, I guess, fruit?) bacon I've had. I much prefer mushroom bacon and eggplant bacon, but in a pinch, this works! 


I used my bacon and some of my homemade vegan pimento cheese (from Cookin' Crunk) to make a Grilled Pimento Cheese and Bacon Sandwich.


Would I make this bacon again? Probably not! But it was fun to try!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I have seen people making pulled banana peel, but not banana peel bacon!
I haven't tried anything with banana peel, and to be honest I think I'm OK with that. But cool to know you can use it just in case! Who knows what grocery limits we may end up with.