Monday, May 6, 2019

Cinco de Mayo Fun!

Ah, Cinco de Mayo! It's one of my favorite holidays for three reasons: 1) tacos, 2) burritos, and 3) margaritas. It also happens to fall the day after my mom's birthday (she's a "May the 4th Be With You" baby). She always requests Mexican food for her birthday, so Cinco de Mayo becomes a two-day celebration in our family. Good thing the Phillips' really, really love Mexican food.

My Cinco celebration started very early on Saturday, May 4 with the Cinco de Moe's 5K, hosted by Moe's Southwest Grill (the burrito chain). It was a fundraiser for the YMCA, and my friend Melissa (a fitness instructor/sociology professor) was leading the race warm-up. We did the warm-up workout and then we were off! There were tacos every mile, but those weren't vegan. I did indulge in the margarita-flavored sports drink during the race. And we were promised vegan burritos at the end, so that was enough for me!


Check out those cool finishers' medals! Most 5Ks don't have medals, but this one did. I love race bling. After the run, we had free beer and burritos. They had all kinds of burritos but of course we got the black bean & rice burritos, plus free chips and salsa. This was 9 am, mind you! Nothing beats a beer and burrito breakfast.


Here's Megan and I chowing down. We earned those burritos!


After the race (and a shower), I headed to Jonesboro, Arkansas to meet up with my parents for my mom's birthday dinner. She wanted to go to Kandela Grill, which was fine by me because they have the best Vegetable Fajitas in Jonesboro. The fajita mix has cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, squash, and onion, and it's served with the softest hand-made tortillas. Not pictured: all the chips and salsa I ate and the margarita to wash it down.



Can you believe this woman just turned 65?! I really hope I have her genes!!



After dinner, we went back to my parents' house, where we had birthday cookies! My mom requested cookies instead of cupcakes, so I grabbed some Chocolate Chunk, Molasses Rye, and Snickerdoodle Cookies from Lulu's Baked at the Cooper-Young Farmer's Market.


Yesterday, for actual Cinco de Mayo, I made BBQ Tofu Tacos with Cumin-Affirmation Rice and Quick Frijoles Charros. The beans and rice recipes were from The Taco Cleanse. The rice was white with toasted cumin seed, onion, and veggie broth. The beans were pinto (from a can) with tomato and onion. Quick and easy!


Here's a taco close-up! My dad has a smoker, so he always smokes tofu for me when I'm coming home to visit. He sent me home with quite a bit, so I'll be eating this all week. He used a BBQ sauce and dry rub on this batch, and it's so flavorful! Perfect stuffed into hatch chile corn tortillas with homemade cashew cream (just raw cashews blended with ACV & pink salt), avocado, salsa (also homemade by my dad!), red cabbage, chive, and tomato. 


Later that night, I had a low-cal margarita (made with stevia-sweetened margarita mix!) while soaking in the bathtub. Because that is the life, y'all. Hope your May 5th (and May 4th) were just as delicious as mine.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Daaaaayyuumn, Mama Crunk looks AMAZING!!! I love reading about you and your family. It always gives me the warm fuzzies!

Do tell about the stevia-sweetened Margarita mix...I need this in my life! :)

Hillary said...

Your mom looks AMAZING! Both of your parents do, so I think you're in luck!!
Those fajitas look amazing! You are so lucky to have a constant supply of smoked tofu!!!!

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Mama Crunk! She looks incredible!! Your Cinco de Mayo and birthday festivities look like so much fun and omg all of that food looks incredible! I need all of it in my life!

Susan said...

Such a fun inspired food weekend!

Cadry's Kitchen said...

So much good food! That's really fun that your dad smokes tofu for you. I bought a smoker gun about a year ago, and I STILL haven't used it. I love the flavor of smoky things, so I need to get to it!