Monday, February 11, 2019

Lulu's Baked School Lunch Brunch!

Our friends Don and Kenzie hosted another Lulu's brunch at Fuel Cafe this weekend! They're hosting these amazing pop-up brunches several times a month now!

I had an 8K trail race on Sunday at 2 pm, so I almost skipped it for fear that I'd eat too much and feel gross on my run. But after Don posted the theme/menu, I knew I HAD to be there. They went with a school lunch theme! Square breakfast pizzas (like the shape of the school pizza that fit onto the square lunch tray) and a regional cinnamon roll & chili bowl.

Of course, I got the Breakfast Pizza. Because pizza. Don has access to an amazing pizza oven at Fuel, so I knew this would be a winner. Topped with cashew cheese, tofu scramble, and blackeyed pea sausage. Served with an arugula salad and apple slices. Get it? Like school! Pizza served with salad and fruit.


The pizza was A-MAZING, and it worked wonders as race fuel later in the day. I wasn't too stuffed, and I had lots of energy. Yay carbs! As for arugula, I'm not a fan. But I ate it all because I'm a plate cleaner, and I know it's good for me.

Jennifer ordered the Cinnamon Rolls with Chili, which is something Kenzie ate in school growing up in Missouri. It must be a Missouri thing because I've never heard of this dish! But I was very intrigued and totally would have ordered this if pizza wasn't an option. I love savory and sweet together.


By the way, Jennifer — who hails from Michigan and also hadn't heard of this — immediately pulled the rolls out of the chili and wiped them off, saving them for dessert. Ha! Our friend Anthony ordered this too, and he ate it the right way, taking a bite of cinnamon roll with a bite of chili each time. He said it was delicious.

Susan ordered The Big Brekky. Don typically offers something more standard like this. The dish changes each time, but it usually include tofu scramble and potatoes. This time he added vegan cheese and shiitake toast.


The next Lulu's pop-up brunch is next Sunday at Fuel, beginning at 11 am. If you're local, check it out!

6 comments:

Hillary said...

I love square pizza! It all looks good, although I am skeptical of cinnamon rolls with chili!!!
Congratulations on the race!

Cadry said...

I had never heard of cinnamon rolls with chili until Isa started serving it at Modern Love in Nebraska. It seems to be very regional, but it sounds delicious. A lot of people add cinnamon to chili. So it seems like it would go together. My local Co-op sells vegan cinnamon rolls. So I often mean to grab one and try it with homemade chili.

Jennifer said...

I will have to look into Cinnamon Rolls with Chili!
Sounds legit, tho, because sometimes there is Cinnamon IN Chili!?
Everything looks great and NOW I am hungry!

Sarah said...

Ooooh yum!!!! All of these offerings look delicious and the cinnamon rolls and chili sounds so interesting! I probably would have gone for the pizza too but the classic scramble looks pretty tempting too. Congrats on the race!

Jennifer said...

I am half grossed out and half in love with this idea of cinnamon rolls and chili. I think I would like un-iced cinnamon roll with a chocolately mole chili.

Susan said...

Cinnamon rolls and chilli is an interesting sounding combination, I have never seen it anywhere before! But how can you go past a pizza? I certainly can't.