Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Stuff I Ate

Another random meal round-up! Here are a few things I've been eating lately.

But first, check out this picture my mom found! This is me, sitting on the counter in our totally 80s trailer, mixing up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. My mom got me started in the kitchen at an early age. She was an excellent cooking instructor!


No idea why but this photo of Avocado Toast got more Instagram likes than anything else I've ever posted. It's up to 404 now, and I typically average about 100 likes. Maybe it's because I hash-tagged it #avotoast. But really, it's just an ordinary slice of avocado toast with nooch and hot sauce. Nothing special. And also way uglier than most things hash-tagged #avotoast. Have y'all seen the fancy stuff people are doing with toast these days? Seriously.


I went to Jonesboro to visit my parents a couple weekends ago, and much to my delighted surprise, my mama had made homemade Vegan Cinnamon Rolls. Because she's the best mom ever.


After stuffing my face with cinnamon rolls, we went out for dinner at Uncle Maddio's where I got this Vegan Pizza with Daiya, tofu, green and black olives, bell pepper, red onion, and portabella mushrooms.


The Memphis Vegan Drinks meetup for March was at City Silo, a newly rebranded restaurant that has a ton of healthy vegan options. I got the Buffalo Tempeh & Sesame Cauliflower Bowl over grilled zucchini noodles and topped with corn, kale, homemade cashew ranch, and avocado spread. OMG SO GOOD. You can also get this as a wrap. City Silo is so good, y'all. So good.


Pre-run Peanut Butter Bagel (cinnamon raisin bagel from Dave's Bagels, Steem caffeinated peanut butter).


My pal Megan went to SXSW in Austin a couple weeks ago, and she brought her friends back some Dillos! These are like vegan Twinkies, and they're made by Cakewalk. You can order them on Vegan Essentials, but they also sell them in awesome vegan grocery stores, like Rabbit Food in Austin. This was a Mexican Chocolate Dillo, which was stuffed with chocolate cream. I know it looks like poop, but it certainly didn't taste like poop!


My brunch bitches and I brunched at Midtown Crossing Grill last Sunday. I started with a Vegan Bloody Mary.



And then I had a Tofu Scramble with Daiya, bell peppers, tomatoes, and potatoes. I love that they serve their scramble in tiny cast iron skillets! The skillet is hot, so you stir the vegan cheese in, and it gets all melty and wonderful.


And I also got the Vegan Biscuits & Redeye Gravy, which was PHENOMENAL. The biscuits were topped with sausage and then covered in brown gravy (made with coffee, for all you non-Southerners who have never had redeye gravy).


I make my own kombucha, but sometimes I run out before my next batch is ready. Since I drink 8 ounces daily, I have to buy it when I run out. Love this KeVita Raspberry Lemon Kombucha. Also, I found these Almond Coconut Perfect Bars on manager's special at Kroger for 99 cents a box! That's 99 cents for 8 bars! So I grabbed three boxes. Now I have 24 Perfect Bars! I'm pretty sure whoever was marking things down was supposed to mark them down to 99 cents PER BAR (because other flavors were individually priced). But whatever. Their loss! My win!


I picked up some Kale Quinoa Burgers at ALDI a couple weeks ago. I had one with avocado, tomato, and onion with a side of tortilla chips. These were very much a VEGGIE burger, so they weren't super meaty in texture and didn't have much protein (2 grams). But they were good and a nice way to sneak in some extra veggies.


I ordered a new (to me) flavor of FitQuick protein waffles! Double Chocolate Brownie! Served here with Soom Foods Chocolate Sesame Spread, CocoWhip, and berries (I added way more berries after this shot). 22 grams of plant-based protein after my run!


This morning's breakfast was another Dave's Bagel — Onion & Garlic Bagel with Vegan Cream Cheese (love these single-serving Go Veggie cream cheeses!) and fresh berries and grapes.


And finally, today's lunch was a salad. We have catered staff meetings at work, and today's lunch came from Young Avenue Deli. It was a Greek salad mix, but I added my own white beans, hemp seeds, air-fried croutons, and homemade herbs dressing. I believe the dressing they brought was vegan, but since I was bringing in my own salad toppings, I figured I'd use up the rest of this homemade stuff.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, that was sweet of your mom! Those cinnamon rolls look so good!

Hillary said...

That picture is adorable!! I know what you mean about the fancy avocado toasts on Instagram. They're making works of art!!
As usual all of your food is making me drool. That pizza looks amazing. And the tofu scramble looks so delicious and adorable in the cast iron skillet!!
I have heard of red eye gravy, but I've never tried it, it looks delicious!!
I miss bagels so much!!!

Sarah said...

Awww mini Bianca is so adorable!! I love that picture!!

You have been eating so well! Everything looks absolutely incredible. That cinnamon roll with the icing looks absolutely incredible and that pizza! Yum! The tofu scramble in the skillet is adorable!! Looks yummy too. I'm all about that protein waffle too. Do you make them fresh or do you make them in advance and freeze them? It sounds so good with the chocolate tahini on it, yum!

Trixie said...

Those Chocolate waffles!! Remind me again what you mix with the batter?

Bianca said...

Hi Trixie! I typically just use water! The package calls for plant milk, and I sometimes use almond milk. But water works great.

And Sarah, I make them fresh! The mix is super easy to use, and it only takes a few minutes in the waffle maker. I make them while I'm drying my hair! Hahaha.

Unknown said...

Oh my god what an adorable photo of you as a kid!! Vegan cinnamon rolls and pizza with the parents sounds like the most ideal day ever to me.....
bloody marys are my favorite cocktail of all time-heck i order a second round without the alcohol most of the time (since two are a bit much if i have to function after brunch!) i make a great bloody mary myself actually-my secret ingredient is v8!
Supermarket markdown finds are the best thing ever- especially when it's something really awesome like those bars, what a lucky find that was
Ttrockwood

Jennifer said...

Not sure how I missed this post but I'm sure glad I found it NOW!!!! OMG!! Everything looks amazing! I want it all!!! Especially that bowl!

Jennifer said...

Oh my! I at first read "Mexican Chocolate Dildo" o>__<o I guess that is worse that thinking it looks like a beet poop.

I love when people start cooking young! My nieces started baking when they had enough hand coordination to flip a cup into a bowl. XD