1) Fried Mac & Cheese Sandwich at White Owl Social Club in Portland, Oregon — Y'all!!!!! I had this at the Vida Vegan Con 2 pre-con meet-and-greet in 2011, and it has forever changed my life. I've still not recreated it at home, but I think it about it, like, every day.
2) Bianca Banh Mi at Midtown Crossing Grill in Memphis — I swear I'm not just including this because it's named after me! I really think this is one of the best sandwiches in Memphis. Crusty bread, marinated tofu, red bean hummus, homemade pickles, and jalapenos.
3) Reuben at Imagine Vegan Cafe in Memphis — Imagine has a great menu of sandwiches, and it's hard for me to narrow down a fave. But right now, I'm really into their reuben. They use a wheat gluten-based vegan salami, kraut, homemade Thousand Island, and a white vegan cheese sauce. It's totally messy, and by the end, you need a fork. But that's okay!
4. Radical Reuben at The Chicago Diner in Chicago — Since we're talking about reubens, you've got to include the grandmama of all reubens, the Radical Reuben. This sandwich is legendary, and there's a good reason for that. It's delicious!! They use a homemade seitan, a melty white cheese, kraut, and Thousand Island. The seitan is so tender and amazing.
5. Veggie Burger at Fuel Cafe in Memphis — This is hands-down the best veggie burger in Memphis. It's a homemade patty that's hearty and meaty and holds together well. Served with vegan cheese and vegan mayo. They also serve this patty reuben-style during the lunch hour. Basically, every sandwich should be a reuben.
6. Fried Green Tomato & Tofu Sandwich from Cookin' Crunk — I wanted to include something homemade in this list, and this is definitely my favorite sandwich from my cookbook. Crispy, cornmeal-coated fried green tomatoes, marinated & baked tofu, sweet 'n' tangy dijon mayo. YUM!