Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Vegan Drinks, Part 3

It's the third month for Memphis Vegan Drinks, and we're having more fun than ever. Each month, we gather for happy hour at a different vegan-friendly bar. Tonight, we went to Slider Inn, a motorcycle-themed slider joint with good beer and three vegan tiny burger options.

Here's the group, minus a few stragglers who arrived later.


We even had a couple of awesome service dogs in attendance! Slider Inn has a dog-friendly patio. The server even gave them water bowls!


I started with a High Cotton Oolong Tea, a pale ale brewed with oolong tea! High Cotton is a new Memphis brewery.


A few people ordered cocktails. John had a lovely looking Margarita.


I had the Falafel Sliders — falafel patties, black bean hummus, cucumber, tomato, and sprouts (hold the yogurt sauce). They're served with the world's best fries. They use just a touch of sugar in their salty seasoning, and they taste a little like McDonald's fries (which are not vegan, by the way).


A few people got the Vegan Triple B Sliders — black bean, brown rice, and beet sliders with avocado. I've had these before, and they're really awesome.


I didn't get a picture, but a few people ordered the Veggae-Reggae (caramelized onions, mushrooms, and avocado on a bun ... make sure you ask them to leave off the cheese).

I finished out the night with a Wiseacre Tiny Bomb, a locally brewed pils from Wiseacre Brewery on Broad Avenue. Memphis has gone from having one local craft brewery last year to four this year!!

 
Cheers!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm, as someone who used to work at Mickey Ds I can tell you the fries are vegan and cooked in a separate fryer. If you're referring to the beef seasoning that used to be in them that was removed years ago. Unless Mickey Ds in the US has different practices than here. But I can guarantee you Canada Mickey Ds fries are vegan.

Amey said...

What a fun gathering! I love that there's so much vegan food to nom on... and not just drinks. Plus, love the tee-shirt!! :) I love mine too!

poopiebitch said...

It was so fun! Those vegan sliders were delish.

Anonymous: I don't know what country you are in, but McDonald's fries are definitely still not vegan (or even vegetarian) in the US: http://animalrights.about.com/b/2011/10/26/mcdonalds-french-fries-still-not-vegetarian.htm

Bianca said...

Yep, sadly Anonymous, the Mickey D's fries in the US are not vegan. I have heard they are in Canada, but not yet here. Maybe one day. A girl can dream.

Lucy said...

You all know how to have some good vegan fun in Memphis! :)

John McDevitt said...

Yay! I wanna go!

Lesley Eats said...

I can't believe a place like this (in Memphis) would have enough for a vegan meet-up. That is so awesome!

ps--even if the fries were vegan, I'd never give McD's my money. Haven't been there since 1993 (when I worked in the corp office of Back Yard Burgers!). It's just all kinds of gross.

Anonymous said...

@ poopiebitch

Umm, Canada. It's right in the comment. I didn't know that the fries in the US were different but it's true that they are vegan here in Canada.

@ Leslie Eats

I wouldn't eat there if you paid me and didn't eat there even when I worked there but I just thought I'd point this out.

Anonymous said...

French Fries: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),
dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
agent), and cooked in vegetable oil [canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil (THBQ),
citric acid, dimethylpolysiloxane].

Those are the ingredients for fries in Canada.