Monday, September 16, 2013

I Scream For Ice Cream Bars!


Summer may be over in a few days (sadness), but that doesn't mean we have to give up ice cream, y'all! Ice cream is for all seasons!

Tofutti sent me some samples of their ice cream bars to try before summer's end. But honestly, despite the official changing of the seasons this weekend, it will feel like summer in Memphis until at least early- to mid-November (goddess bless the south). And even when it's finally frosty outside, the inside of my house will be a toasty 75 to 78 degrees. I like it hot.


They sent the Hooray! Horray! Crispy Crunch Bars and the Chocolate Covered Flowers.

I'd never tried the Hooray bars, but I was excited to see that they are stevia-sweetened. I mean, they're practically guilt-free, right? A creamy vanilla ice cream is coated in dark chocolate and crispy bits. Yum.


I did sample the Chocolate Covered Flowers a few years back, and I really love these too. I'm not always crazy about flower-flavored foods. But the flower essences in these bars are really subtle, and since the ice cream is pink and covered in chocolate, it almost seems berry-like in flavor. Placebo? Probably. But delicious nonetheless. (Yes, I was in my car when I ate this one).


Can we just talk about Tofutti ice cream for a sec? When I first went vegan in 2004, Tofutti was the only brand of ice cream I could find at my local health food store, Square Foods (RIP Square Foods). It was so creamy, and I honestly loved it so much more than I ever loved dairy ice cream. But then all these newfangled ice creams came out — coconut milk ice cream, rice cream, raw nut-based ice creams, almond ice cream. And I've spent years eating those, and I've let my precious Tofutti fall by the wayside.

But these bars reminded me why I loved Tofutti ice cream from day one. It is, hands down, the creamiest vegan ice cream out there. The tubs of Tofutti are hard to find around here, but Cuties and ice cream bars are available at Whole Foods. And my favorite vegan restaurant, Imagine Vegan Cafe, uses Tofutti in their milkshakes and banana splits!

12 comments:

Catherine said...

I am going to have to try these! www.frenchtoastandwine.com

dreaminitvegan said...

I love ice cream bars!

Lesley Eats said...

The chocolate covered flowers was a real revelation to me. I LOVE THAT POP! Or bar. I'm not sure what to call it. :)

Sarah said...

I agree with the Tofutti love - I have seen some haters out there, but to me Tofutti has always been my one true vegan ice cream love. That creaminess always reminds me of pudding pops - oh, remember how great those were! - and I love that texture.

luminousvegans said...

Mmmm, those flavors look so good! I am not a huge vegan ice cream eater but when I do eat it, Tofutti is usually my favorite brand. My partner definitely agrees with you on the whole ice cream year round thing :-)

~Ketty

Sheridan said...

Oooooh! I need to find these! They both look so yummy!

Sarah said...

Ooooh these sound amazing!!! I definitely want to try the Hooray! Hooray! bar! I love that they sweeten it with stevia, it sounds delicious!

Abby Bean said...

I salute you for eating in your car (too).

jess said...

I went vegan eating those elusive pints of Tofutti. I will have to find those!

Babette said...

Can't wait for these to be available in Canada.

I remember the days when Tofutti was the only brand available, and it was even hard to find around here! Now, I can only find it, or so it seems, at an Italian grocery that's not vegetarian at all.

Leah - VeganWonk said...

Aah! I loved Tofutti ice cream sandwiches so much as a kid -- they had a boysenberry flavor, or something like that, and in 4th grade when my teacher asked our favorite ice cream, I said Tofutti boysenberry flavor, haha.

Anonymous said...

I love vegan ice cream