Sunday, January 13, 2013

Thrive Forward, Weekend Recap (Days 9, 10 & 11)

Another weekend on the Thrive Forward cleanse has come and nearly gone. Here's what I ate.

On Friday morning, I woke up early and fueled my morning run with half of this Vega Whole Food Energy Bar (I didn't eat the whole thing because I only had time for a short 45-minute run):

Afterward, I replenished electrolytes with coconut water, followed by a Vega Orange Energy Smoothie. This citrus-y smoothie was made with a whole orange (peeled, of course!), half a banana, a handful of spinach, almond milk, vanilla extract, and a scoop of Natural Vega One:

By mid-morning, I was ready for a snack, so I had Carrots and Sweet Pepper Hemp Pesto (shown here). I've been wanting my co-workers Susan and Hannah to try Derae Ethiopian Restaurant for months, so we went there for lunch. Fortunately, the Fuul with Injera Bread was cleanse-safe:

The fuul is a fava bean stew, and though it's typically served with wheat-based rolls at DeRae, the owner is happy to swap out gluten-free injera bread by request. This meal felt so decadent after all the small meals I've been eating. But I did eat way too much injera bread, and my tummy was pretty angry for a few hours after lunch. I guess I've gotten used to smaller portions eaten more often (six times a day) rather than having three heavy meals. I was way too full for an afternoon snack.

But I was hungry in time for dinner. That's when I had another Farmer's Market Salad (shown here) with beets, peppers, carrots, and sprouts. Paul and I rented the movie Savages Friday night, so I snacked on these Red Pepper Strips with Guacamole during the movie:

I've committed to running 10K's every Saturday during the cleanse. And as I mentioned last weekend, my regular Direct Fuel Bite snacks weren't enough to power me through a six-mile run. So I made a batch of Brenden's Buckwheat Banana Pancakes from Thrive Foods to see if that would be enough to get me through the run:

It was!! After one pancake with a couple teaspoons of maple syrup, I didn't feel too full to run, and I stayed fueled throughout the workout. So no need for energy gels. Brenden recommends his eating "performance pancake" recipes before longer or more intense workouts. And yes, I realize this looks like a portabella mushroom. But it's not. It's an uber-healthy pancake made with buckwheat flour, banana puree, and hemp protein.

After my run, I made another Vega Orange Energy Smoothie. That held me over until I went to meet some friends at Balewa's Vegan Gourmet, my neighborhood mostly raw, vegan cafe. There, I had the Mock Chicken Salad with Sprouted Grain Bread (made with raw cashews, celery, and some other stuff). This stuff is AMAZING! Definitely my favorite dish from Balewa's:

Balewa's usually always has a few raw desserts available too. I couldn't resist this Raw Strawberry Cheesecake. Look at the layers! Almond crust, cashew cream, and a layer of strawberry puree:

I had the last of my Black Bean Chili Pizza leftovers on Saturday night and more Red Pepper Strips with Guacamole as a late-night snack. I also allowed myself to have two (which turned into three ... oops!) glasses of Our Daily Red vegan, organic wine at my friend Shara's birthday party. I only drank that third glass because we ended up staying there for hours and hours.

On Sunday morning, I awoke to my favorite Sunday cleanse breakfast — Sesame Miso Soup with Buckwheat Soba Noodles (shown here). Lunch was a the Hemp Seed Kale Salad from Thrive Foods:

You know I couldn't let a cleanse go without a massaged kale salad, right? This one had hemp seeds, mushrooms, bell peppers, and a miso-hemp oil-apple cider vinegar dressing.

Dinner was the Temple Rice Bowl from Thrive Foods:

This may not look like much, but it was so good! There's a cup of herbed wild rice blend on the bottom. That's topped with homemade hummus and sauteed bok choy and tomatoes. And then it's sprinkled with sprouts and hemp seeds. I felt like such a hippie eating this, but that's a really great feeling.


Caitlin said...

it's fantastic that you are able to go out to restaurants and find so many options for you on your cleanse! the ethiopian food looks unbelievably amazing. i don't blame you for eating all that injera- it looks so soft and fluffy..

Jennifer said...

So interesting, so colorful, so healthy!

Amey said...

what a great post! I love seeing all your super healthy foods. I like the Orange Smoothie idea - good idea. I've been doing my same ol' smoothie for a while now. I'll try that one tomorrow. :)

Lesley Eats said...

I can't wait to try Balewa's!

And I wish I could do it, but I just can't deal with injeera bread, so I never eat Ethiopian food. Injeera just feels like I'm eating a rotten sponge!