Thursday, September 27, 2012

90s Fusion Cuisine

Crunk News
  • My first booksigning/release party will be at Imagine Vegan Cafe (2156 Young) on Saturday, Sept. 29th from 3 to 6 p.m. I'll be sampling my Deviled Tofu Bites (vegan deviled eggs!!) and my Country Potato Soup. Stop in if you're in town! Here's the Facebook invite.
  • Also, I appeared on Live@9 on WREG Channel 3 this morning, and the segment went well! I cooked some BBQ Tempeh & Carrot sandwiches from the book. But for some reason, they've not yet posted the video. But I've been assured that they will, so I promise to share that as soon as it's up.
For tonight's post, I actually want to talk about my next cookbook project, a collection of veganized trendy recipes from the past century. It'll have recipes separated by decade, but I'm not working on any one decade at a time because I'm the kind of girl who likes to hop around. I did a few 80s recipes last week, a few 70s recipes over the weekend, and this week, I made a very 1990s chili.

The 90s were all about fusion cuisine. Let's take a bunch of flavors that you wouldn't think would go together and mix 'em together anyway. Let's just be cray! One of my favorite flavor combos is chili and chocolate, and although Mexicans have been enjoying that combo for decades, Americans went all gaga over chocolate and chili in the 90s. Thankfully, that trend that stuck around.

I made this Dark Chocolate Chili for the 90s chapter:


I used two ounces of an 85% dark chocolate bar, and oh my god. That deep, dark chocolate gave the otherwise regular old chili the most sensuous, smooth, and complex flavor. I've made chili with chocolate before, but I'd never used quite that much chocolate. The more, the better.

As for the rest of the chili, there's my homemade TVP beef, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and your usual chili stuff. Oh, and some extra hot jalapenos from my pepper garden! It's great bare naked, but I topped mine with red onions and Galaxy Mexi-Shreds.

4 comments:

T said...

Oh man that looks good! Kind of like Mole chili, huh? Can't wait for the new cookbook!

L said...

cincinnati's skyline chili is famous for adding chocolate [and cinnamon] to their recipe... i'm very interested to give this recipe a whirl when the new cookbook comes out :)

Barb@ThatWasVegan said...

That looks delish! And... I think we have the same light box :)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

Looks super yummy, as usual!! Sounds like a super fun theme for a book! Did you send Bill Clinton a copy of the southern cookin' one yet?? Think you need to send Paula Dean one.........and WOW, you should do a demo at Sweetie Pies, the southern cooking place that has a SHOW on the OWN channel-and they cook seriously disgusting foods that you make veganized & yummy & cruelty free! YOU need to be on OWN!!!!