Monday, June 13, 2011

Veganaroo

Well, I survived Bonnaroo Music Festival once again. Four days of camping in the humid, 90-plus degree Tennessee summer isn't easy, but that's why god made vegan Bloody Marys. A stout tomato-based cocktail at the campsite, followed by lots and lots of water (got to stay hydrated), is the perfect way to face the day at an outdoor music festival.

After enjoying our morning drinks, my friends and I headed into Centeroo — the main festival area with stages, vendors, a water slide, a ferris wheel (above) and other activities — to see NOFX, Loretta Lynn, Florence and the Machine, Arcade Fire (who I didn't like until this past weekend ... their live show is so much better than their recorded stuff), Eninem, Wiz Khalifa, Beats Antique, the Scissor Sisters, and plenty more. Oh, the very best part? Raunchy cult filmmaker John Waters in the comedy tent.

This was my second Bonnaroo. Last year, I was concerned about finding vegan festival food, but this year I knew better. Vegan food abounds at the 'Roo. I did bring some canned goods and sandwich supplies to save money, but I managed to score a few meals from vegan-friendly vendors.

On Friday night, I was craving a tasty snack to enjoy with my special edition Sierra Nevada Bonnaroo Brew. So I grabbed this Veggie Samosa from the Samosa Man cart to nosh on while watching Bassnectar:

It may not be the prettiest shot, but hey, I was shooting with a flash in total darkness at 1:30 a.m. The giant crispy samosa was stuffed with spicy potatoes, peas, and other curried veggies and served with a spicy tomato sauce.

On Saturday, I needed a quick bite in between sets by Wiz Khalifa and Loretta Lynn, so I grabbed this Crunchy Earth Burger (their name, but I like it) from TomKats Catering inside the media hospitality tent:

This hearty black bean patty was so tasty, and you could see bits of corn and other veggies with each bite. I enjoyed it with kettle-cooked Zapp's Cajun Dill Gator Taters.

On Sunday, I couldn't resist the Vegan Daiya Pizza from the Full of Life wood-fired pizza stand:

I had their vegan pizza topped with beets and carrots last year, and it was killer. Here the menu for this year:

And here's the little man who cooked my pizza:

This year's vegan pizza was a little better. Topped with lots of Daiya mozzarella, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, and fresh spinach:

OMG! I stuffed my face with this while I waited an hour for John Waters tickets at the comedy tent. Unfortunately, the pizza didn't last the entire hour. I wish it lasted all day.

Later on Sunday, I was feeling pretty beat. Standing in the John Waters line with blazing sun and no shade took a lot out of me. After downing some much-needed water, I knew fresh produce would make me right again. So I stopped at the smoothie stand for this refreshing Pineapple-Coconut-Banana Smoothie:

There was plenty of vegan food I didn't get to try — BBQ tofu sandwiches, falafel with hummus, vegan burritos, salad from the organic salad cart, Greek veggie pitas, and so much more. I wish every festival was so vegan-friendly, but since Bonnaroo draws more than 60,000 people (many of them vegan hippies), I can understand why they cater to everyone ... including herbivores.

20 comments:

Addicted to Veggies said...

Gah! I'm so glad you had fun! My hubby loves Arcade Fire, and I didn't care for them until I saw them play on Austin City limits. I totally appreciate their musicianship and like them now! Also - I'm still jelly that you saw Mister Waters. Luck-E!
Banana-Coconut-Pineapple Smoothie = drool!

S - xoxo

T said...

Wow, looks like an adventure! I would have loved to see Loretta Lynn, she's my fave! And that burger looks awesome. wow, I miss American summer!

The Health Sensei said...

can't say i care for any of the music you mentioned, but the food looks awesome

Sheridan said...

Yay!! Looks like you had a blast! I want a bite of all of that food! YUM!

panda with cookie said...

I saw a lot of live reports in my twitter feed this weekend. I knew you would have the food angle covered though.

liz said...

I've been wanting to go to bonaroo for years, but i'm not good with a lot of heat and sun, so I probably won't ever make it. The food looks amazing tho, I need to recreate that pizza somehow asap

Sharan said...

That pizza looks delicious! glad you had a good time!

http://totefullofveggies.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Good Crunkie, good job. Way to go by taking good care of yourself. I'm getting too old and set in my ways to do the music festival thing anymore. I've become quite crotchety and say things like, "This $#!t is too dang loud and all of this dust and smoke are bothering my allergies!" Yep, I got my stereotype down real good.

Erin said...

Glad you survived! I've seen some other friends' pictures from this year and it looks like it can be pretty crazy.

Leslie Richman said...

That's some good festival eating!!

Unknown said...

I figured that as "hippie"-ish that bonnaroo is that they would definitely accomodate vegans!
the food you tried sounds great :)
but i can see how it could add up, so that was smart thinking to bring your own for a few meals!
glad you enjoyed yourself!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize Bonnaroo was so vegan friendly. Nice shot of the samosa considering it was down with a flash. You can't even tell.

Amanda Jewell said...

I love Dayia!! It's changed my vegan, pizza craving life!

The Preppy Vegan said...

This sounds beyond awesome. I feel like you always have the best luck with vegan foodie adventures. (Probably because you are in cool places and not getting eaten by mosquitos in Cleveland, Mississippi).

Anonymous said...

I went to Bonnaroo this year and didn't find as many vegan options as you mentioned. Maybe I was delirious from the heat, but I lived on PB and J for most of the weekend at the campsite. Thanks for covering the Vegan angle, it'll definitely make me look harder next year for vegan food options in centeroo!

Anonymous said...

so bummed i didn't see this post while at the roo. I had no idea they had vegan pizza. The samosas were so amazing though! Thanks for blogging about the other options. I will be prepared next time.

SarahByng said...

Sounds great! I wish more UK music Festivals had this kind of food options, but we have vegan festivals too with yummy food, poetry and music.

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

The samosa and vegan pizza look very good!

vegan.in.brighton said...

It's SO awesome that music festivals in the US cater, and it would seem cater well, for vegans. I've been to two festivals this year, one in Belgium & one in the UK and neither have had anything for vegans except chips. Lame!

Prada handbags sale said...

that's a good play and nice food, hoping some day have a travel you there^ ^