Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cheeze Eggs & Gravy

Like every good Southern girl, I love me some gravy. Honestly, no matter where you hail from, you really ought to love gravy. It's good on biscuits, mashed taters, vegan sausage, veggie burgers. Hell, the Canadians even smother gravy on their French fries and give it a fancy name like poutine. When I saw this recipe for Cream Toast on VegWeb, I knew it'd become a breakfast staple in my house:

That's a slice of toast topped with a cheezy tofu scramble and creamy white gravy. Does the morning get any better? I've been eating this all week, and I seriously can't even sleep in anymore. When my alarm goes off, my first thought is "cream toast!!"

Then I hop in the shower and wash off as quickly as possible, so I can savor each bite of this creamy, cheezy breakfast afterward. By the way, the cheeze in the tofu scramble is melted Follow Your Heart Cheddar. Reminds me of the cheese eggs my mom used to make. Definitely a keeper.

12 comments:

AikoVenus said...

Those look absolutely delicious! You can give me a plate. ^.~

Alessandra said...

I couldn't eat it for breakfast (I am Italian) but I could eat it for lunch :-).

Ciao
Alessandra

The Health Sensei said...

yumtastic.

Vegan Georgia said...

Yum yum! I'm a gravy girl too. I could eat good gravy with a spoon.

Liz said...

yum. I'm not a big gravy fan, but this looks delicious

JohnP said...

Oh my, yes! In reading through an old 1934 veg cookbook, I found a gravy recipe which I am eager to try -- it involves both cream cheeze and peanut butter.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. said...

We have gone through periods of the last decade living on sprouted bread and scrambled tofu. If we were bad, home fries as well. Major comfort food!

Leslie Richman said...

Uhhhhh YUM!!!

foodfeud said...

I love breakfasts you're excited to get up for!

saveyrgeneration said...

this reminds me of Wayward Cafe in Seattle!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That looks so so good.

Unknown said...

A keeper is right. Beautiful mornings follow.