Thursday, June 2, 2011

Latin Vegan Love

First of all, thanks for all of your awesome comments on my last post on my vegan philosophy! This is why I love blogging. Interacting with like-minded vegans from across the world is just amazing. It's nice to know that so many folks share similar vegan values.

Now onto the food. I got a crap-ton of vegan cookbooks for Christmas, and I'm slowly working my way through each one. My original plan was to read each book front to back and make stuff from whatever book I was on. But it's June, and I've only finished reading two of about 10 cookbooks (that would be Color Me Vegan and Appetite for Reduction). So now I'm just cooking out of all of them before the new wears off.

So I pulled down my unopened copy of Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero from the shelf and flipped through for a yummy idea. The Arroz con Seitan jumped out at me:

I already had some homemade seitan in the freezer, so that part was easy enough. This rice dish is made with sliced seitan, green olives, capers, tomato sauce, and spices. And the best part? Mexican beer! I'm such a huge fan of cooking with alcohol. Beer adds such a depth of flavor. I used Corona and it really stepped the dish up a few notches. I also subbed brown rice for the white in the recipe and increased the liquid and cooking time.

Served with steamed local broccoli and a salad, this was a pretty healthful, satisfying meal. I think next time, I'll try Terry's Cubano Sandwich.

If you have the book, what's your favorite recipe from Viva Vegan? I could use some recommendations.

19 comments:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I tested for this book and loved the Arroz con Seitan! That might have been my favorite.

Lauren said...

The vegano cubano sandwich is AWESOME.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Mmm yum, I love the Arroz con Seitan.

Elisabeth said...

Cuban Black Bean Soup....mmmmmm

T said...

I really adore that cookbook, its amazing. The Portobello Fejoada is out of this world, and the orange rice is a great addition to many different meals... her Venezuelan black beans are my new go to!!!

JohnP said...

I can't remember the name, but we made an amazing tempeh thing from this book. And when you are ready for dessert, the flan and tres leches cake are both beyond outstanding.

panda with cookie said...

I've heard so many good things about the Cubano. This book is still on my list to get.

and_i_say said...

I absolutely loved the seitan empanadas with kalamata olives and raisins. I know it sounds like a freaky combination, but I really enjoyed them. I made the dough and cut it into circles the day before as a time-saver.

Jen said...

I really liked the enchilada and poblano casserole with pine nut crema--it is a bit labor intensive but worth it. The cuban sammiches are great, and I could live off an IV drip of Aji sauce for the rest of my life.

BTW, I'm going to VVC, so I look forward to meeting you!

dreaminitvegan said...

Lucky that you received all of those cookbooks...that means we'll keep on seeing lots and lots of wonderful meal from you!

That lookslike a delicious rice dish and I can't wait to make it.

dreaminitvegan said...

Lucky that you received all of those cookbooks...that means we'll keep on seeing lots and lots of wonderful meal from you!

That lookslike a delicious rice dish and I can't wait to make it.

Scissors and Spice said...

I've made a few things--I really like the empanadas and the churos. The later are surprisingly easy to make!

VeggieLow said...

i keep meaning to try tamales... everything i've had is good. the flan is AMAZING. and really easy if you have agar agar. yum!

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

I JUST got this book last week. I'm so excited to cook from it. In fact, I just stocked up on tempeh and avocados so that I could make some tempeh asado. Pretty much everything in that book looks awesome!

Allysia said...

The yellow rice! The yellow rice! Best rice I've ever had, for realz. Gallo Pinto is also fabulous and easy.

Susan G said...

That sandwich is awesome........

Unknown said...

I love making the sopes.

Anonymous said...

My fave is the Seitan and Potato tacos, the seitan is marinated in mexican beer, chipotle peppers, cumin, oregano, etc... SO GOOD!

Anonymous said...

I think Viva Vegan is in my top 3 fave vegan cook books. I posted a recipe that features the Braised Brazilian Shredded Kale (so good), Fried Sweet Plantains, and Portobello Feijada (my favorite of them all!). Your Orroz con Seitan looks delish - I'll have to try that one next. :)

http://happygoluckyvegan.blogspot.com/2011/01/bold-and-brazilian.html