Thursday, June 30, 2011

Frying with Beer!

Two of my favorite things — beer and fried food. Yes, they're guilty pleasures, and no, I don't eat/drink them everyday. But sometimes a girl needs a tasty brew and crispy goodness, and sometimes she needs those two things in the same dish! When I saw the Beer Battered Tempeh Fish in the April issue of VegNews, I knew I had to make it:

OMG! The tempeh is seasoned with my other favorite thing — malt vinegar. Then its dipped in a beer batter (I used Magic Hat Wacko) and fried in hot oil. That white stuff is Tangy Tartar Sauce made from Vegenaise, relish, green olives, capers, and dry onion (the recipe is included in VegNews too).

I never cared for fish when I ate meat, but I do remember loving Captain D's as a kid. Not for the fish, but for the batter. This tempeh fish boasts a batter that's deliciously similar to the fast food chain's.

I served my "fish" with steamed, white pattypan squash from the Memphis Farmer's Market and Leahey Gardens macaroni and cheese.

Also, I forgot to mention yesterday (because Blogger was being CRAZY!) that I was featured as Memphian #180 out of 365 in the I Love Memphis "365 Memphians" Project. Blogger Kerry Crawford interviewed me about veganism, time travel, and my Friday night plans. Here's the link.

21 comments:

Leah: Not Otherwise Specified said...

This looks amazing! I too have a weakness for fried foods and beer.

T said...

That looks deliciously junk-foody. I love vegnews recipes!

Mihl said...

beer + freid tempeh = perfection!

Bethany said...

Ohhh...that looks crazy good! I have to say, I don't really miss any meat or cheese as a vegan, but if I miss one thing, it's fish...especially fish n chips! That looks amazing!! Oh and I love beer too LOL

Nikki said...

Yum, yum, yum...anything tempeh. Or fried. Or with beer.

Also, very cute pic with the article :)

sara said...

that looks awesome! i don't do a lot of frying because i always make a splattery mess of my kitchen, but this recipe looks worth it.

Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan said...

I completely agree - beer and fried foods are a good combo - especially combined in the same meal. This looks really tasty - and congrats on the feature article!

Erin said...

Oh my, that looks so good! I'm pretty sure I'll never deep fry anything in my kitchen, but I would sure let you make this for me :)

Leslie Richman said...

Looks yummy!

Sheridan said...

Oooh! I definitely want to make this! And aw shucks, thanks so much for the shout out in the article! haha! I'm so stinkin' proud of you too, always have been!

SarahByng said...

This post makes me hungry, and its dinner time in the UK!
I read that article, your interview was great! Memphis sounds like a great place, I would love to visit one day!

VeganLinda said...

I don't like to fry foods, but this looks too good not to try!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! Gutted I won't be able to make it because VegNews doesn't deliver to the UK :(

Katie said...

That looks awesome! The only kind of fish I liked as a kid was deep fried.

Scissors and Spice said...

Holy crap I need to make that, like right now.

Unknown said...

I ate a lot of fried fish as a kid. This is nostalgia. Fish and chips night might need to happen soon. Nice interview by the way.

Katie said...

That looks TO DIE FOR!!

AikoVenus said...

Even though I can't use alcohol that looks wonderful!

Nutrition Coach Faye Bristol said...

This looks incredibly tasty. I am hearing of more and more vegan bodybuilders & athletes packing on muscle without meat. The planet needs a Vegan revolution FOR SURE!!!!

Nutritionist Bristol Lisa said...

wow, there certainly are plenty of vegan options today and CBS news have recently reported on the growing popularity of Veganism. Although you have to be careful as not all beer and lager is vegan. I use barnivore.com to check. I believe Bud Light is vegan.
I recommend to most clients today that they ought to consider a wholefoods plant based diet.

Great Blog! :)

Nutritionist Bristol said...

I have read about the new stem cell burgers they are creating in Norway....if animal fat is solid at 37 degrees core human body temperature...I don't see how these burgers can be any more unhealthy....if anything they may be healthier...especially for the environment!